What's New in the CQ 5.4 Upgrade
In late October, 2011, Boston College upgraded its version of Adobe's CQ Content Management System from 5.2 to 5.4. While there were major changes in the underlying architecture of the software, the user interface and workflow remained much the same. There were, however, a number of significant feature updates and bug fixes. They include:
- Overall improved user experience with better reliability and increased performance
- Inline text editing, allowing users to make edits to their pages without opening a separate Editing window
- Improvement of the Text Component table: previous issues have been fixed, and users can now easily access and change table cell/row/column settings
- The ability to drag images from the Content Finder into tables when using the BC
- The elimination of the horizontal line (hr) bug that resulted in crashing script errors
- Improved memory usage when uploading/accessing PDF files
- Several improvements in the Form Component:
- Simplified user interface of Form start dialogue
- The order of values in user generated e-mail now matches order of text fields in form elements
- The ability to easily add a child page to the current page in the Edit Content interface
Supported Platforms and Browsers for Editing in Adobe CQ 5.4
The recommended browser is Firefox 17 or 24 ESR (Extended Service Release)
The ESR stands for Extended Support Release and is a new Mozilla project to provide a more stable version of Firefox for people in universities and similar institutions where compatibility with complex web-based applications is important.
You can download and install Firefox 24 ESR from this page:
Look down the Language column for "English (US)" and then go across that row for the version that matches your computer's operating system. Click on the download link and save the file to your computer in a place where you can find it. Quit Firefox. Double-click the saved installer on your computer to run it and follow the instructions. This will replace your current version of Firefox but leave all your bookmarks and settings in place.
Adobe has announced CQ compatibility with the following operating systems and browsers:
- Microsoft Windows XP: Internet Explorer 7, 8 and Firefox 10.0.5 ESR
- Microsoft Windows Vista: Internet Explorer 7, 8 and Firefox 10.0.5 ESR
- Microsoft Windows 7: Internet Explorer 7, 8 and Firefox 10.0.5 ESR
- MacIntosh Apple OS X: Firefox 10.0.5 ESR
Please note: the 5.4 version of CQ is not be compatible with Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer 9 or any Firefox version 4.
These browser incompatibilities are only relevant to editing within CQ.
Published pages created in Adobe CQ and published on the www.bc.edu site can be accessed on all browsers and operating systems without limitations.
For questions, please email the Web Technology Group at firstname.lastname@example.org