Save Energy over the Holidays
It seems as if the Fall Semester just began, but Christmas break is here.
As part of the ongoing 'Got Green?' campaign, the Office of Engineering and Energy Management recently shared a few tips on saving energy at Boston College over the break.
- Turn off items that consume electricity, such as lights and individual coffee makers.
- Unplug chargers and other electronic equipment.
- Shut down computers.
- Review requirements and assignments for turning off office equipment such as printers and copiers.
- Where possible, close blinds and curtains in offices, classrooms and residence hall rooms.
- Close all windows.
- If a refrigerator is empty, raise the setting to a warmer temperature.
- In offices with thermostats, lower the setting to 55 degrees.
- In offices with individual heating units, switch off the fan.
Learn more at www.bc.edu/green.
You can also take similar steps at home, including:
- If your Christmas tree is lit and you don't need any additional lighting for whatever you're doing, turn the other lights off.
- Turn down the heat when you have guests. They'll generate plenty of heat (and maybe hot air) on their own.
- Invest in rechargable batteries.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Boston College ITS!