October Is National Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is National Cyber Security Month, and BC ITS wants you to “Stop. Think. Connect.” and stay safe online, protecting your personal data and information.
ITS is sponsoring events and making information available online throughout the month. Please visit bc.edu/security for details on contests, events, and more.
In addition to the information available on the BC security page, many resources are also available on other websites.
- Chances are you know better than to send a check to a prince from an exotic country, but how knowledgeable are you about other cyber crimes? Take a security quiz from Norton to find out how much you really know about cyber crime. Also, take the quiz from BC ITS – you could win a $50 iTunes gift card.
- Visit the ITS homepage for security tips all month.
- Staysafeonline.org includes many useful and practical tips on keeping you and your family safe online. Watch security-related videos on their YouTube channel.
- Cyber criminals are constantly changing their methods; hotscams.com can help keep you up-to-date on the latest ways they try to steal money and information.
- Computers aren’t the only thing you need to protect. The US Computer Emergency Readiness team provides tips on physical and data security for your mobile devices.