ITS at First Year Experience Orientation Programs
The Office of First Year Experience has run six Orientation programs since mid-June, with one last program scheduled to begin August 28. Every Tuesday, ITS facilitates a presentation for incoming freshmen and transfer students covering how they can use technology at BC and find help if they need it.
This year, EagleTech student employees Taylor McEldowney and Aaron Staudinger have facilitated four presentations at each session, answering various questions posed by incoming students. Trivia questions are asked throughout the session, and students answering correctly earn a prize.
Topics discussed include:
- The importance of backing up data;
- The BC Laptop Program;
- Software available through BC; and
- Using the Agora Portal.
Recognizing that technology may not be the first thing on the minds of incoming students during orientation, Taylor and Aaron built on the “TechTube” theme created by fellow EagleTechs Paul Veiga and Okello Carter, who led the Orientation presentations in 2010. They created new videos to incorporate into the presentation. The videos were designed to get important points across to the audience – as well as to keep them interested in the presentation.
Some of the videos are available at the links below.
- Desktops work great, but aren’t the most convenient option for a campus environment. Aaron shows us why.
- Email forwarding can save students time having to check multiple email accounts. You wouldn’t want to have to check multiple postal mailboxes every day, would you?
- Things are going great between Aaron and his computer – until a virus comes between them because he didn’t keep his anti-virus software up-to-date.