Tech Tips for Christmas Break
Christmas break is nearly upon us, as classes are winding down and many members of the BC community are preparing to leave campus for a few weeks. Here are some things to keep in mind for this time of the year.
Be Secure Over the Holidays
Over the holidays, take time to make sure your computer is safe, secure, and updated:
- Get the latest virus protection updates for your software (McAfee or Sophos) and scan your computer for malicious files like viruses, spyware, or malware. For more information on anti-virus software and prevention, see Anti-Virus.
- Check all of your privacy settings on commonly used websites, such as Facebook and Twitter. In most cases, it is best to customize settings to ensure privacy.
- Back up any files saved on your computer onto an external hard drive, flash drive, or online storage site such as MyFiles.
- Avoid suspicious links in emails and pop-ups!
Have a Green Christmas
Make sure you have yourself a green Christmas by keeping all your technology eco-friendly over the holidays. Follow these tips before going home.
- Shut down your computer and printer before leaving. Putting them to sleep wastes power so make sure to switch it completely off.
- Make sure all of your lights are turned off.
- Unplug any large appliances or chargers. Chargers often use a great amount of power when they are plugged in and not in use.
- Turn your thermostats down if you will be away to conserve energy.
To learn more tips visit bc.edu/green.
New Year’s Resolution: Clean Up Your Computer
This New Year, make a resolution to clean up your computer inside and out. This will not only help it to run more quickly and smoothly, but also make it look better.
- Clean up your desktop and bookmarks; only keep bookmarks for sites you visit regularly.
- Remove unneeded programs to speed up your computer and keep it running smoothly.
- Clean your cookies and temporary Internet files to also speed up your computer and help it to perform at a top level.
- Clean your monitor and keyboard with a can of compressed air and a microfiber cloth with a small amount of water or isopropyl alcohol on it. Your computer will look brand new for the New Year.
The CTRC and Walk-In Help Desk are open through December 23. Click here for their operating hours.
Before the break, Help Center Phone Support will be available as usual, Monday-Friday from 8:30 am – 7:00 pm, but will close on December 23, at 3:00 pm. Still need help? Self-service help on many different topics, including phones, VPN, Exchange Email, and anti-virus software is always available at www.bc.edu/help.