The Storage Administration group is responsible for all the data stored in the data center. Its purview includes:
- Maintaining all vendor storage arrays in the data center.
- Maintaining the backup software.
- Ensuring our daily backups is run correctly and copies maintained off site. They are also responsible for ensuring the data can be restored properly.
- Maintaining the Fiber Channel infrastructure and the Storage Area network in the data center.
- Maintaining the software (Xymon) that monitors the servers in the data center. This includes setting thresholds, and developing custom monitoring scripts.
- Performance and capacity planning for the data center and the servers.
- The manager of the group is responsible for sizing servers and working with vendors to get quotes for new projects.
- The group plays a lead role in disaster recovery since it must ensure that all the data is backed up safely and that backup servers can be recovered during a disaster.
With the installation of the new storage array in July of 2010, there are now over 300 terabytes of disk in the data center stored on 3 different storage arrays.