Academic Planning for Study Abroad
office of international programs
Architecture from the Netherlands.
the Course Approval process
- Study-abroad courses automatically count toward general elective credit.
- Specific courses can count toward BC major, minor or core requirements with departmental approval.
- To obtain approval for courses (with an exception for interdisciplinary minors*) students complete a Course Substitution Form and bring it to the department for approval. Forms are available at Student Services in Lyons Hall and also at Hovey House. Completed forms must be returned to Student Services.
- Students should seek course approval prior to departure. If course registration plans change while abroad students can e-mail department contacts and save all correspondence.
- Departments sometimes pre-approve courses abroad (BC programs only); these courses do not require a Course Substitution Form. Lists of pre-approved courses are available to help students in the planning process. Using the links below, students can access lists by schools and departments. Pre-approved courses are subject to availability.
Pre-approved courses vs. General electives
While pre-approved courses help in advanced planning, students are also encouraged to take courses which are available only through their study-abroad experience. Such courses may not necessarily count toward the major, minor or core requirements, but they will be counted toward general electives required for graduation.
Click below to read more information about specific academic requirements, course approval abroad, department advising guides and department contacts.