Import Your Class Roster
If you want have a record of how your students responded to i>clicker questions, you’ll need to import your class roster either from Blackboard Vista or the BC Portal. If you are planning to import your grades into the Blackboard Vista Gradebook, then download your roster from Blackboard Vista, otherwise, download your roster form the BC Portal.
Downloading Your Course Roster from Blackboard Vista
1. Log into Blackboard Vista and select the course for which you are using i>clicker from the Course List.
2. Make sure you are in the Teach tab at the top of the screen. Under Instructor Tools, click on the Grade Book link.
3. From the Grade Book, locate and select the Export to Spreadsheet option. On the resulting page, you will be prompted to answer a series of questions regarding your exported data. Answer these questions as shown in Step 4 below.
4. From the Export to Spreadsheet page, make sure you have selected the following choices and click Export:
- Members to Export: All Members
- Columns to Export: All Columns
- Export Format: Comma-delimited
- Character Set: Unicode (UTF-8)
5. Save the file into your course folder within your iclicker Win or i>clicker Mac folder (e.g., iclicker Win\Classes\Sample Course or i>clicker Mac:Classes:Sample Course). If you are working on a Mac, the file may download automatically to your desktop, and you can drag it from there into the folder where it needs to go.
6. Locate and open your course folder within the Classes folder. (e.g., iclicker Win\Classes\Sample Course or i>clicker Mac:Classes:Sample Course).
7. Rename the file exportedcourse.csv to Class.txt. A dialogue window may open asking for confirmation of the change; click to confirm.
TIP: We recommend that you open the CSV file to make sure that file includes student last name, student first name, and student Blackboard Vista ID.
WARNING: If the file appears to you as exportedcourse instead of exportedcourse.csv, you will need to perform the following steps:
- Open My Computer.
- From the menus at the top, go to Tools > Folder Options.
- Click the View tab. In the list of Advanced Settings on the View screen, scroll down to Hide extensions for known file types and uncheck this box. Click Apply, then OK.
- Close the My Computer window.
- Click anywhere on the Desktop, then from the top of the screen go to Finder > Preferences.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show all Extensions box, then close the Preferences window.
Downloading Your Roster from the BC Portal
To enable students to register their clickers, a roster of your course must first be added to the i>clicker/i>grader software on your computer. A roster for each course is available through the Portal:
- Login to http://portal.bc.edu and open the My Services tab.
- Select Manage your Courses. You will see a warning that you are about to leave the Portal environment; click Continue.
- From the list of courses which appears, open the drop-down menu for the one you are looking for and select Get Course Roster.
- Choose an option from "Select Format," and check the box for iGrader Roster.
- Click Get Course Roster and a .txt file with the number of your course will be sent to your BC email account.
Once this file has been added to the course folder in the i>clicker software, change the name to roster.txt. You will then be ready to have your students register their clickers.