Restoring Files from Apps.Storage.bc.edu
the bc application server
If you have accidentally deleted or changed files, you may be able to restore them from AppsStorage.bc.edu (L: drive) by following the steps below:
- Access your AppsStorage.bc.edu space (L: Drive). You must be on the BC network or connected via a VPN.
Windows Vista and Windows 7
Click the Start button and in the Search field type:
Click Start > Run and type:
Mac OS X
From the Finder, click Go > Connect to Server, and type:
smb://appsstorage.bc.edu/YourUserName. Enter your User ID and password.
or Access your mapped drive.
- A folder displays called ~snapshot. (On Windows you may need to adjust your view options to see this folder. Learn how)
- Double-click the folder to open it.
- Subfolders will display. The names of the folders indicate when the data included in the snapshot was taken (hourly, nightly, or weekly, followed by the version).
Hourly - The most recent snapshots, from the past 24 hours, done at 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Nightly - Taken Monday through Saturday.
Weekly - Taken every Sunday.
The newest versions are the ones appended with “.0” and the older the version, the higher the number. Following this logic, the newest snapshot would be hourly.0, created within the last four hours, and the oldest could be weekly.2, which would be about a month old. You are not likely to find any snapshots older than one month.
- Open the folder of the time frame from which you believe the data you are looking for was saved.
- Once you find files or folders that you want to recover, you can copy them to their previous location or to a new location. Just be careful about overwriting data if you do copy it toDi its original location.
- From the Options menu, select Folder and Search Options.
- Click on the View tab.
- In the Hidden files and folders section, select Show hidden files and folders.
- Click OK.