Scan for Viruses with Sophos Anti-Virus
anti-virus software for mac os x
NOTE: The initial scan of your computer may take a long time to complete. You can continue to use your computer while the scan is running.
Sophos Anti-Virus on-demand scan
Note that it is not necessary to manually ran Sopho anti-virus scans on demand since Sophos scans files automatically when they are accessed. However, if you do want to manually scan your computer for viruses using Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac, you can do so following the steps below.
- Click on the Sophos shield icon onfi your menu bar in the upper right area of your screen (see Figure 1).
- Select Open Sophos Anti-Virus... from the popup menu (see Figure 2).
- Click Scan This Mac (see Figure 3).
- Sophos Anti-Virus will then scan all the files in the selected disk for viruses. You can watch the progress of the scan in the Sophos Anti-Virus window (see Figure 3).
- If no virus is found, select Quit Sophos Anti-Virus from the Sophos Anti-Virus Menu (see Figure 4).
- If a virus, spyware, or adware is found, Sophos will alert you and quarantine the suspect files. You can access your Quarantine folder and delete the files.
To access your quarantine folder, access the Go menu and select Go to Folder... (see Figure 5).
- Type "quarantine" in the window that opens (see Figure 6).
- The quarantine folder will display with the files that Sophos quarantined listed (see Figure 7).
- Delete the file(s) from the Quarantine folder.
Sophos Manual Virus Scan Preferences
ITS recommends a few changes to Sophos's peferences, if you plan to use the scan on-demand functionality. To access and change Sopho's manual scanning preferences:
- Go to the Sophos icon in the menu bar and select Open Sophos Anti-Virus Preferences... (see Figure 8).
- Click the lock and enter your Mac OS X username and password (see Figure 9).
- Under the Cleanup menu, make sure:
- Automatically clean up items that contain viruses or spyware is selected (see Figure 10).
- Deny Access to Infected files is selected (see Figure 10).
- and move to folder: is selected with /Quarantine in the text box (see Figure 10).
- Under the Logging menu, make sure Log to system log is selected (see Figure 11).
- Click Apply then close the Preferences window (see Figure 12).