Adding a Printer from the BC Network
windows xp professional and windows 2000
To add a printer from the BC network using Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000:
- Log in to your computer as an Administrator.
- Click the Start button, point to Settings and then click Printers and Faxes (Printer option on Windows 2000).
The Printers and Faxes window opens.
- Double-click the Add Printer icon.
- Click Next.
- Click Local printer attached to this computer, make sure Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer is not selected and then click Next.
- Click Create a new port and then for Type of port, click Standard TCP/IP Port (see Figure 1).
- Click Next. If you have Windows 2000, go to step 9.
With Windows XP, the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard begins.
- With Windows XP, on the Welcome screen, click Next.
- In the Printer Name or IP Address box, enter the printer name followed by ".bc.edu" (see Figure 2). A label indicating the printer name should be located on the front of the printer. It should follow a standard naming convention for your department. If this label is not on the printer, please contact your Technology Consultant (TC) [bc.edu/tc] for this information.
- Click Next.
- Depending on the configuration of your computer, you may see an additional window. This window states that the device could not be found. For the Device Type, select Standard and in the test box leave the default setting. Click Next.
- On the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard, click Finish.
After creating a printer port you need to select a print driver specific to your printer.
- The Add Printer Wizard should still be open and you should be able to continue with this process by selecting the manufacturer and printer type (see Figure 3). If the Add Printer Wizard is no longer open double-click on the Add Printer icon located in your Printer Folder. The Wizard automatically starts at the correct screen. Select the correct Manufacturer and Printer from the lists:
- Click Next.
- On the Name Your Printer window, type over the text that appears in the Printer name box with the name of your printer. By default, the text that appears is the name of the printer driver you selected.
- If you want to make this printer your default printer, click Yes or if you do not want to make this printer your default, click No. Click Next.
- On the Printer Sharing window, click Do not share printer and then click Next.
- On the Print Test Page window, click Yes and then click Next.
- Click Finish to exit from the Wizard.
A dialog box appears asking whether or not the test page printed correctly.
- If the test page printed correctly, click OK. If the test page did not print correctly, click Troubleshoot to troubleshoot the printer setup or call your TC (bc.edu/tc).