Using the BC Directory
tips and best practices
Using the BC Directory Search
The BC Directory Search allows you to find contact information for People, Departments, and Group emails throughout the BC community. You can narrow search results to show only matching results from Faculty, Staff, Students, or Affiliates (contractors, for example). Search results are pulled from BC’s secure LDAP server.
Tips for a Successful People Search
- People search results will show current BC students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. Alumni and applicants are not included in the BC Directory.
- When searching for a person, you’ll get the best results by searching by first name and last name, putting a space between each name (John Smith).
- Do not use middle names, initials, or suffixes (Jr., Sr., Ph. D., etc.)
- People searches using fewer than 4 characters will return exact matches only.
- If no exact match is found, results containing the last name will display. For example, if you searched for “Bobby Orr,” results would contain people with the last name “Orr,” and he would most likely be listed as “Robert Orr.”
- When searching for names with apostrophes or hyphens:
- Don’t put spaces before or after apostrophes or hyphens.
- Use the entire hyphenated name (e.g. Jones-Smith).
- If you don’t find the person you’re looking for, use only the first part of the hyphenated name (e.g. Jones).
- Search results will display a maximum of 200 names (see Figure 2). To narrow your search results, click the drop-down arrow next to BC Community and select the group from which you would like to search (see Figure 3).
- Clicking “Add to My Cart” will bring you to Campus Groups, where you can build a group from your Directory selections.
- Search by typing in the department name.
- Choose the department for which you are searching. Do not use abbreviations (HR, ITS, etc.)
- Navigate around different departments by clicking the letter that department starts with.
- After choosing the department, the list of people in that department displays, along with their contact information (see Figure 5).
- From here, you can click on an individual to view his or her personal contact page, or click “View Employee Photos” to see the (available) pictures of each person in the group.
- The legend at the bottom of the page (see Figure 6) explains what information is available to the BC community or may be suppressed by a person.
Group Email Search
- Group Email search allows you to search by Group Email names.
- All BC group accounts are listed, and the results pull from BC’s secure LDAP server.