What is MyFiles@bc?
MyFiles@bc can be securely accessed from on-campus and off-campus (www.bc.edu/myfiles), eliminating the need for carrying CDs or disks of your files, or sending them through email. By default, faculty and staff have a disk space quota of 1 gigabyte, which means you can probably use MyFiles@bc to store and share all your files. Students and affiliates have a disk space quota of 100 megabytes. Note: To request more space for your BC related tasks, call the Help Center at 617-552-HELP or 2-HELP from on-campus.
Important: Users of MyFiles@bc are expected to adhere to the BC Technological and Information Resources Use Agreement (www.bc.edu/techpolicy).
MyFiles@bc features include:
- File Storage accessibly from anywhere...
- Web browser - You can save your files and folders on a server that can be easily accessed from any computer with a web browser. So, no matter where you are, you have access to all your files through a secure Internet connection.
- Web folder on your desktop - If you use Windows or Mac OS X (Tiger v. 10.4), you can also create a web folder on your desktop that connects to your MyFiles@bc space so that your files and folders can be accessed directly while working from your computer. This is similar to how you would access a department server, except a MyFiles@bc web folder can be accessed from off-campus without using VPN (Virtual Private Networking).
- File sharing with Boston College & non-BC colleagues...
- You can share the files and folders you store in MyFiles@bc with groups or individuals at Boston College and with non-Boston College people.
- You determine if other people can view, edit, delete, or manage files or folders you share with them.
- You can set a file or folder to be shared for a limited time only (from minutes to years).
- You can be notified via email when your files or folders are viewed by the people you shared with.
- Macintosh OS X
- Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP Professional
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer 8 and higher on Windows
- Mozilla Firefox 7 and higher
- Safari 4 and higher