Support of Mobile Devices at BC
Supported mobile device platforms
In general, mobile device support, including support for Smart Phones and PDAs, is based on platform as opposed to a particular device. The following mobile device platforms are supported at Boston College:
Note: ITS does not endorse or recommend a specific carrier, because of the unique needs of individuals and departments at Boston College.
Faculty and staff: Thinking about buying a new mobile device?
What is included in mobile device support?
Standard support of mobile devices at BC includes the following:
- BC Wi-Fi activation and configuration
- BC email configuration
- Syncing calendar and contacts
- First-level hardware and software diagnostic troubleshooting
Standard support is based on compatibility with BC standard services. As technology evolves, BC is committed to evaluating and testing emerging mobile technologies, updating documentation, training support personnel, and working with carriers to evaluate products and services.
Your responsibilities with your mobile device
You are responsible for:
- Battery replacement and hardware failure
- Data backup and loss on mobile device
- GPS, Bluetooth, infrared, and near-field communication uses of your device
- Third-party or beta software not standardized by BC
Note: Such software is not recommended by BC and may limit standard support services.
- Purchase of BC-standardized third-party software solutions (i.e., NotifySync)
- For BC departments: The funds to purchase the mobile device, any additional software, accessories, and monthly billing. We recommend P-Card billing.
BC does not support the synchronization of a mobile device with multiple computers. If you choose to use an unsupported device, refer to your phone carrier or device vendor’s website for support.
BC services are compatible with iPhone, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and Android devices.