NotifySync: Limitations and Known Issues
faculty and staff on exchange only
Current NotifySync users at BC: BlackBerry released a free product called BESX. With BESX, email, calendar entries, contacts, tasks and memos are all kept up-to-date using push technology. Server software and hosted services also optimize data before sending to BlackBerry smartphones, making it one of the most efficient smartphone solutions. It’s designed to provide quick delivery times, long battery life and low per-megabyte data charges – especially when roaming.
As of May 2011, NotifySync will be phased out at BC, and users should use BESX. NotifySync will still work on your BlackBerry, but will not be fully supported at BC.
The information below describes the limitations and known issues of using NotifySync v. 22.214.171.124.
Note: With NotifySync, you have a choice of using the NotifySync email application or email configured via BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS). If certain email features listed below are important to you, you may prefer a BIS email configuration.
- Limitation: NotifySync does not support synchronization of the following contact fields:
Anniversary Office Location Customer ID Assistant Name Other City Government ID Assistant Phone Other Country IM Address One Number Other State IM Address Two Fax Number Other Street IM Address Three Work Fax Number Other Zip Code Manager Name Car Phone Pager Number Company Main Number Radio Phone Phone Department Number Account Name Home Street Two Spouse Nickname Home Fax Number Work Street Two MMS Home URL Work URL
Name Prefix Picture
Workaround: Perform a wired desktop sync to Outlook to obtain information in unsupported contact fields. Temporarily disable NotifySync push before performing the wired desktop sync and then re-enable it when finished.
- Limitation: If an email is deleted from the NotifySync email client, it will also be deleted from the server. There is no setting that can be toggled to delete email from the device only.
- Limitation:Cannot save an email in NotifySync to the BlackBerry feature "Saved Messages."
- Issue: A calendar synchronization error may occur if you have a yearly recurring event in January.
Solution: NotifySync will eventually modify the event to occur once every 12 months instead of yearly and the error should disappear.
- Issue: Battery power is consumed more quickly after installing NotifySync.
Workaround: Configure a less frequent scheduled push in the NotifySync push preferences. You can also configure weekday and weekend push preferences and limit the hours in which the device syncs. You may also wish to manually disable push at certain times in order to conserve battery life.
- Issue: Duplicate calendar entries.
Solution 1: Be sure to delete all CICAL service book references: From the Home screen, select Options>Advanced Options>Service Book. Note that these CICAL service book references may reappear from time to time. If you begin receiving duplicate entries, check for CICAL.
- Issue: NotifySync must be the last email account installed and configured on the BlackBerry or it will cause calendar synchronization issues.
Solution: Setup BIS email accounts before you install NotifySync. If you plan to use a BIS email account (including Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) on your BlackBerry device in addition to NotifySync, follow these instructions before you install and register NotifySync.
- Set up the BIS Email account if you have not done so already.
- Wait about 1 hour to allow the device to receive the service books.
- Delete the CICAL Service Book before installing NotifySync:
- From the device Home screen, select Options>Advanced Options>Service Book.
- Scroll through to locate any item that ends with [CICAL] (there may be more than one) and delete them by selecting Delete from the popup menu.
If you already have NotifySync on your device, but wish to setup a BIS account on the device as well, proceed as follows:
- In NotifySync, disable calendar sync and turn off push settings.
- Setup the BIS account(s).
- Allow about one hour to ensure the service books were received, then delete the CICAL service books.
- Perform a soft reset (remove the battery).
- Re-enable calendar sync and turn on push settings.
Note: The CICAL service book has been observed to occasionally reappear on the device. It has not been determined what triggers this, but should you begin to experience calendar issues again, it is advisable to check the service book list.