Preparing to Migrate to Windows 7
migrate to windows 7 at the walk-in help desk
BC students can now upgrade their computers to Microsoft Windows 7 operating system at the Walk-In Help Desk (O'Neill 248). Walk-In Help Desk staff will complete clean installs of Windows 7 by request on student computers able to support Windows 7.
Note: Faculty and staff can contact their TC if they want to move to Windows 7.
Before arriving at the Walk-In Help Desk, please be sure to:
- Back up your data! During the migration process, your computer will be wiped clean, so you have to back up all files. You can use an external hard drive or MyFiles@bc to back up all your files. Visit www.bc.edu/backup to learn more.
- Go to www.bc.edu/win7 to review information about Windows 7 at BC.
- Review Microsoft's compatability advisor. Search or browse for software and/or hardware you use (including gaming and music software, cameras, and printers) to assure compatibility with Windows 7.
- iTunes users need to deauthorize their iTunes Library before the upgrade and then reauthorize it after the upgrade.
Once you complete the steps above, you're computer will be ready for installing Windows 7. Please be sure to bring these with you to the Walk-In Help Desk:
- Your laptop
- The AC power adapter for your computer