Installing and Using CCleaner
windows 7, vista, xp, and 2000
This page is intended for people who are computer savvy, such as
After removing malware, it is recommended that you clean your computer using either CCleaner or Disk Cleanup.
On this page:
- Close any open applications on your computer.
- Open your Web browser and go to: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
- Next to the green arrow, click Download Latest Version.
- Save the file to your desktop (see Figure 1).
- On your desktop, double-click the ccsetup141.exe icon.
Note: If you have Windows 7 or Vista installed on your computer, you will be asked by Windows whether you would like to continue, click Continue.
Note: If you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed on your computer, you may see the following alert (see Figure 2). Click Run.
- Click OK (see Figure 3).
- Click Next (see Figure 4).
- Read the license agreement, and then click I Agree (see Figure 5).
- Click Next (see Figure 6).
- Check the options you prefer, (see Figure 7 for recommended options), and then click Install.
- Click Finish (see Figure 8).
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Open CCleaner & click Check for updates now (see Figure 9).
- If you do not have the latest version, you are prompted to download a newer version of CCleaner. If you are prompted to download a new version, repeat the Installing CCleaner directions.
- Open CCleaner & click Run Cleaner (see Figure 10).
- Click OK (see Figure 11).
- Select the Applications tab, and then click Run Cleaner (see Figure 12).
- Click OK (see Figure 13).
- Click Issues, and then select Scan for Issues (see Figure 14).
- Click No (see Figure 15).
- Click Fix All Selected Issues (see Figure 16).
- Click OK (see Figure 17).
The scan and removal process is complete.
Important: You should scan and clean your computer often.