Class Voicemail Distribution Lists
It is easy to send a message to all students in your class. You do not have to build a distribution list and maintain it, because automated procedures rebuild course distribution lists nightly. Thus, your course list is always up to date. Voicemail class lists are available from 30 days prior to the start of the semester to 30 days after the semester has ended. At this time, however, course lists are limited to undergraduate students only as graduate and evening students do not yet have voicemai lboxes. You can be assured that all undergraduates will have a voicemail box, as other automated procedures create a mailbox for each new student as soon as s/he is admitted.
Here's how you send the message:
- Login to your voicemail box as you normally do. (i.e. Dial 2-4006 and enter your mailbox number and password (PIN#) when prompted.)
- From the main menu, select option 5, which is "Call Handling".
- From the Call Handling menu, select option 6, which is "Boston College Distribution Lists".
- From the Boston College Distribution Lists menu, select option 2, which is "Students registered for a particular course".
- Select the appropriate term: 1=Fall, 2=Spring, 3=Summer.
- Enter the seven character alphanumeric course/section number followed by the pound key. For example, if the course were MC12301, you would enter 6212301, as the "M" and "C" are represented by "6" and "2", respectively.
Once you do this, you may be prompted to make a department selection, as some department mnemonics equate to the same numeric values. In this example, the Accounting department (MA), the Organizational Studies department (MB), and Computer Science department (MC) all equate to "62". Thus, if you are attempting to send to a course in one of these departments, you would get a list of departments to select from (ex. For Accounting, press 1, for Organizational Studies, press 2, for Computer Science, press 3)
- At this point, verification takes place. The system checks to see that there is indeed a course for the number you have entered and whether or not you are authorized to send a message to the class.
- If you are authorized to send a message to the class, the system will tell you how many recipients are in the list, and will then prompt you to record your message. At the tone, record your message and press the pound key (#) to stop. Don't worry if you don't like the message you have recorded. When you press the pound key to stop recording, you will get a menu of choices:
- 1 = Review the message you have recorded
- 2 = Send the message
- 4 = Re-record the message
- 7 = Cancel the message altogether
- Once you have sent the message, you will be given the option to send the same message to another class. This allows you to send the exact same recorded message to multiple classes, if you so choose.
- You're done. You may hang up.