Keeping Your BC Email Address after Graduating
lifetime email forwarding
Do you want to keep a BC email address after graduating?
To sign up for Lifetime Email Forwarding, log in to the Online Community for Boston College Alumni. With Lifetime Email Forwarding you can have one "@bc.edu" email address that remains constant throughout your life, but it is not an email account. You must have a current personal email account with an outside Internet Service Provider (ISP), such as America Online (AOL), or one of the free email services, such as Gmail. Then, BC will forward email sent to your "@bc.edu" address to your personal email account. As long as you update BC with your current personal email address, you will continue to receive email through your Boston College forward-only email address.
You must activate email forwarding by one of two methods:
- Entering an email forwarding address in Agora Portal before your BC email account is deactivated.
- Entering the email forwarding address in the Email for Life section of the Alumni Online Community after your BC email account is deactivated.
To activate email forwarding before your BC email account is deactivated, using Agora Portal:
- Go to Agora Portal, and log in using your username and password.
- Select Email Services.
- Select Mail Forwarding.
- Enter your new email address in the box, click the "On" button at the top, then select Update.
- Clean out all email, email folders, and address books of your bc.edu email account. Access to your saved email, email folders, Agora Portal, and WebMail (mail.bc.edu) will not be available after the deactivation process.
The forwarding address listed in Agora Portal will be transferred to the "Alumni Online Community Email for Life" forwarding system as part of the student email account deactivation process. However, be sure to check that the email forwarding is working by emailing yourself at your BC email address any time after 6 p.m. eastern time on the deactivation date. Please note that the only BC email address that will work in the automatic email forwarding set-up described above is the "firstname.lastname@example.org" version of your student email address (example: email@example.com). An additional address such as firstname.lastname@example.org (example: email@example.com) may also be established by entering the "Email for Life" section of the Alumni Online Community after deactivation.
To activate email forwarding after your BC email account is deactivated or to change your email forwarding address in the future:
- Log in to the Online Community for Boston College Alumni using your BC username and password.
- Select the Email for Life link on the right side of the page.
- To set up email forwarding, enter the new email address that will receive the forwarded email in the first box.
- Choose an "@bc.edu" email address from the pulldown menu next to the title "Current Boston College Email Address:" or use the "Create your own BC Email Address:" option with the last box on the page. NOTE: You will not be able to choose your "firstname.lastname@example.org" address because that email address will be automatically assigned to you once you choose an email address from the pulldown menu or once you use create an email address option.
- Lastly, select the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
It may take ten to fifteen minutes for the email forwarding to begin. Please test the email forwarding by emailing yourself at your BC email address after fifteen minutes have elapsed. If you already have email forwarding set up and you need to change the destination address of your forwarded email, just change the email address in the first box on the Email for Life page and select the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
Please remember that access to your saved email, email folders, Agora Portal, and WebMail (mail.bc.edu), will not be available after the deactivation process. Therefore, it is recommended that all graduates of BC who want to keep their BC email address active set up email forwarding through Agora Portal before the student email account deactivation date.
Please contact the Alumni Online Community Support Assistant at email@example.com if you have any questions about email forwarding for alumni.