bcpost: boston college's mailing list service
- Access BCPost
- Select a list
- Access the Manage Subscriber page
- Manage Subscriber page options:
- Access http://listserv.bc.edu and log in to the BCPost mailing list service.
- Click on the Owner link for the list you want to work with.
After you log in, the Your Lists menu box located on the right side of your screen (see Figure 1), will display the list name for each of the lists that you either own or subscribe to. If you are the list owner, “(Owner)” will display after the list’s name.
- From the List Operations menu box (see Figure 2), select: Manage Subscribers.
Note: Access to subscriber management functions is determined by the privileged list owner via the Edit List Configuration - Privileges page.
When someone asks to subscribe to a list that requires subscription approval, their request enter a queue and awaits a list owner's attention. Click the Review Pending Subscription link to access the Pending Subscriptions page. This page allows you to view and act on any pending subscription requests. The following information for each potential subscriber displays:
- Email address- The email address of the person requesting the subscription.
- Name - The requestor's name (if they provided one).
- Date - The date on which they requested the subscription.
Next to each email address is a checkbox.
- Click in the checkbox for each subscriber you wish to approve.
- Click the Approve button.
- Click in the checkbox for each subscriber you wish to decline.
- Click the Decline button.
Click the "Bulk Add Addresses" link to go to page where you can add multiple addresses at once. The page has a large text box where you can type or cut and paste from another document a list of email addresses and names.
To bulk add subscribers:
- In the text box, enter each person's full email address (one address per line). You may also follow each address with a space and the subscriber's name. Entering a name is optional.
- Click the "Add Subscribers" button.
A welcome message with information for subscribers will be sent to each address unless you check the "Don't send welcome message" box.
TIP: You can cut and paste email addresses from groups you have created using Campus Groups.
The Remind All Subscribers link allows you to send a reminder message to all the subscribers on the list. This message informs each subscriber that they are currently subscribed to your list.
The Display Plain Address List link will take you to a list of subscribers and their email addresses, suitable for copying and pasting into a text file for archival purposes, or for pasting into a new list's "Bulk Add Addresses" page.
The Subscriber Management page provides a way to quickly add a single subscriber to the list. To add a single subscriber:
- Enter a full email address in the Add Address field (see Figure 3). Examples: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- If you do not want notification sent to the subscriber, check the "Don't send welcome message" checkbox.
- Click the "Add Address" button.
To search through the list of subscribers for a name or email address, simply enter the search text in the text box (see Figure 4) and click the "Search" button.
Your current list of subscribers will display in a table under the View/Delete Subscriber heading (see Figure 5).
- The default is to display 25 subscribers per page, sorted by their email address.
- Below the table are controls to move to the next or previous group of 25 subscribers or to change the number of addresses that display on a single page.
- You can change the sort order by clicking on the Email, Domain, Name, Sources, or Sub Date column header.
To delete subscribers:
- Click in the checkbox for each subscriber you wish to delete.
- If you don't want to send notification that they have been unsubscribed, click into the Don't send unsubscribe message checkbox.
- Click the Delete Subscriber(s) button.
The Invert Selection button
Click into this box to de-select all currently selected checkboxes and select all currently de-selected checkboxes.
When none of the checkboxes are selected, clicking the Invert Selection box will act as a "select all" button.
Information about subscribers (to view):
In the Email address column you may also see the word "(bouncing)" in bright red — this indicates that the user's email address is rejecting messages, or bouncing them back to BCPost. Generally this occurs when someone's mailbox is full (over the size limit), but it may also indicate that the account has been closed. If a user's address is bouncing and has been for a while, you might want to consider unsubscribing it from the list. Learn more about bouncing addresses.
The domain portion of the email address is basically, everything after the @ in the address. Click the column header to sort addresses alphabetically by domain. This may be helpful to separate the BC addresses (@bc.edu) from others.
The user's real name, if they or a list owner has entered one.
The user's reception setting. For more information on what the different options mean, please see the Subscriber Options page.
A mailing list can be comprised of several different sources, including a plain subscriber list, the contents of another list, or a database query. For each address subscribed to the list, this column will tell you where that address originates. Click the column header to sort the table based on the subscribers' sources.
Note: not all of these source options are currently in operation.
The date on which the user was subscribed to the list.
The date on which the user's subscription settings were last updated.