Turning off AutoPreview & the Preview Pane in Outlook
to safe-guard against incoming email viruses
Learn how to turn off AutoPreview and the Preview Pane in Outlook to safe-guard against incoming email viruses.
The AutoPreview feature in Microsoft Outlook shows you the first few lines of each email message directly underneath the subject of the message. The Preview Pane appears in an area beneath the item list where you can preview the contents of items without opening them. Using AutoPreview or the Preview Pane can be an issue when you receive an email with a virus.
To turn off AutoPreview and the Preview Pane in Outlook:
1. Open Outlook.
2. On the View menu, point to Current View, and then click Customize Current View (see Figure 1)
3. On the View Summary window, click Other Settings (see Figure 2).
4. On the Other Settings window, do the following (see Figure 3):
- In the Auto Preview group, click No AutoPreview.
- In the Preview Pane group, uncheck Show Preview Pane.
- Click OK. Figure 3.
5. On the View Summary window, click OK (see Figure 4).