Cleaning and Organizing your Email Account
for bc exchange email only
New employees and individuals with less than 1.5GB of current storage will have a quota of 2GB. For those with more than 1.5GB of current storage, the quota will be 140% of their current mailbox size.
Having more than 5,000 messages in a folder including your Inbox or Sent Items folder can affect performance for you and for others using Exchange.
It is important that you keep message counts per folder below 5,000.
For example: Performance may be slowed by a single folder containing 5,000 messages, but having a folder that contains five separate subfolders, each with 1,000 messages, would not have the same effect on performance.
Follow the suggestions below to ensure all of your Exchange folders have fewer than 5,000 messages.
The Three S's to Email Cleanup
- Scrap - Delete mail you no longer need from your Inbox, Sent folder, and any personal folders you may have created. Once you have moved items into the trash, remember to empty the Deleted Items folder.
- Save Attachments - If you need to keep the attachment, save it to your computer and then delete the message and attachment from your email account. If you need the document to be accessible from multiple locations, save the attachment to a departmental server or MyFiles@bc.
- Sort and make sub-folders - Organize your messages. Make sub-folders so your messages are not all in one folder. Remember, no folder should have more than 5,000 messages.
Tips for Cleaning
Determine the Number of Messages You Have in your Email Folders
Do you have more than 5000 messages in any of your folders?
Sorting and Searching
- Sort by name or by date simply by clicking on the appropriate section of the header above the message list.
- The search function can also help you isolate messages from a particular person or topic.
Select Multiple Messages in Outlook
- Press Ctrl and A simultaneously to select all messages in a folder (Command and A on a Mac).
- Select multiple adjacent messages at once by clicking the first message, then holding Shift while clicking the last message in the list.
- Select multiple non-adjacent messages at once, by clicking the first message and then pressing Ctrl (Command on a Mac) while clicking additional messages.
Moving and Deleting
- Don't move or delete more than 500 messages at once. This could affect performance for you and for anyone else on Exchange.
- Be Patient - Don't restart your email client, such as Outlook or Apple Mail, while you are deleting or moving email messages. Wait until the email has been moved, or deleted, before restarting your email client.
- If you accidentally deleted an email message, you can retreive it from your deleted items folder. Learn more about how to recover deleted items.
Share Files using your Department Server or MyFiles@bc instead of Attachments
Instead of saving messages with attachments in your Inbox or mailing attachments to multiple recipients, we recommend that you use a shared departmental server or MyFiles@bc. Documents stored in a location such as a shared server or MyFiles@bc can be accessed from anywhere via a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari). They can easily be organized, searched, and shared. Learn more about using MyFiles@bc.