Dissertation Boot Camp
Winner of the 2012 Boston College Division of Student Affairs: Innovative New Program
Dissertation Boot Camp was featured in the BC Chronicle and on the BC Office of Communication YouTube channel.
The Dissertation Boot Camp will help students progress through the difficult writing stages of the dissertation process and towards its completion. By offering an environment and support for intense, focused writing time, the camp provides participants with the structure and motivation to overcome typical roadblocks in the dissertation process.
Be aware that boot camp is not a step-by-step introduction to dissertation writing, a class, or a place to get advice about your particular academic discipline. By offering an environment for focused writing time, besides exercise breaks and writing tips, the camp intends to build up healthy writing habits that students will then continue on their own.
Spring 2013 Dissertation Reboot Camp Schedule:
Jumpstart your Writing! We will have the Director of the Connors Learning Center, Dr. Sue Barnett, who will be talking about writing strategies.
Dissertation Reboot Camps:
6 Week Reboot Camp:
The Dissertation Re-Boot Camp will meet once a week for six weeks. The Re-Boot camp will begin the week of Monday, February 4, 2013 and end the week of March 18th. The group will not meet during spring break. We have two sessions: Monday session 5:30pm-8:30pm or Friday 9am-12pm. We have limited spots for these groups. We will have free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate and a quiet dedicated space for you to write. Register below.
3 Day Reboot Camp:
We are holding our 3 full day dissertation boot camp will be during Spring Break from March 4th, 5th and 6th. 3 Days of writing, workshops, and provide breakfast and lunch. This workshop is limited to doctoral students who have an approved proposal. We only have spots for 8 graduate students so please sign up today. Please register below.
Here's what's required of you:
- Reboot Dissertation is a writing boot camp. You will spend the time writing. Come prepared to start drafting or revising part of your dissertation.
- Once your registration has been accepted, clear your calendar for all the meeting dates for the whole of the boot camp. Participants need to commit to attending the entire workshop. You will not be excused to teach or attend class. Arrange transportation and childcare so that you are free to attend during the times.
- Bring a laptop, a mug (coffee/tea available) and/or water bottle. MP3 players and headphones recommended if they help you concentrate or if you find nearby conversations distracting. Work tables are provided.
- To sign up, please fill out the form below and it is first come first serve. We are only accepting up to 10 people for the 3 day workshop.
- You will receive a email confirming your status of acceptance to the dissertation boot camp. You will be required to submit a $50 "motivational deposit" check, made payable to the Boston College. Your registration will not be considered complete until we have received your deposit. Please note, your deposit check will only be cashed if you fail to fulfill your commitment for the Dissertation Boot Camp.
*If you're interested in attending a Reboot camp but can't make this day/time, feel free to message Denise Ho email@example.com I can try to connect you with other graduate students who are looking for a writing group.
Previous Boot Campers:
A student cannot participate in more than one Boot Camp. If you participated in a Boot Camp, you cannot register again unless there are seats left. The reason for this is twofold:
Boot Camp is limited to 10 students, and we are trying to accommodate as many students as possible. We intend for Boot Camp to be a model that you can continue on your own. It is our hope that participants will form small self-motivated dissertation groups, utilize the Conors Learning Center, when available and stick to an individualized writing schedule with the momentum gained from Boot Camp.