a weekend away for glbtq students of bc
Spectrum Application is now open!
Save the Retreat Date:
January 31, 2014 - February 2, 2014
Spectrum is a confidential, free weekend away for GLBTQ students. In this welcoming environment, participants will be encouraged to engage in conversation and reflection about their personal identities and to discern who they are and who they are called to be at Boston College and beyond.
The weekend will also build community among gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning people at Boston College.
Join us as we create a space to share stories about what it means to be GLBTQ at Boston College.
Space is limited, so we encourage you to register ASAP, as we reserve on a first come, first served basis with preference toward those who have never attended Spectrum.
How much does the retreat cost?
The weekend is free!
When is the retreat?
The retreat is scheduled for January 31, 2014 to February 2, 2014.
When does registration open?
Registration will open on November 18, 2013. An email annoncement will be sent to the campus community announcing the opening of registration.
Who is encouraged to attend?
Any Boston College undergraduate student who identifies as a member of the GLBTQ community and those who may be questioning. This weekend is not intended for allies.
If I have attended Spectrum before, can I participate again?
Priority registration is given to those individuals who have never participated in the past. However, individuals who have previously attended Spectrum may register and attend if space permits.
What should I expect from this weekend?
You will be invited to engage in reflection and conversation about your personal identity and to explore who you are at Boston College and beyond. The weekend will also build community amongst GLBTQ students as well as provide faculty/staff who may be resources for students.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Questions and comments may be directed to Stacey Green, Assistant Dean of Students, at email@example.com or 617-552-3470 or to the Spectrum Weekend leadership team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After participating in the Spectrum Weekend, students will be able to...
- Demonstrate a greater understanding about their own personal identities by engaging in conversation and reflection in a safe and tranquil space.
- Display a deeper understanding of the significant relationships in their lives, such as family, friends, partners, etc.
- Articulate with greater clarity and specificity the role of faith or spirituality in their lives as a GLBTQ student.
- Identify supportive resources and role models in the Boston College community, including faculty and staff.
- Name new peers with whom they share common experiences, thus building a greater sense of community amongst GLBTQ students.