Why Didn't I Get The Job?
What are the reasons why you as an applicant sometimes receive only a thundering silence from prospective employers after your interview has been completed?
A well known career center director at Northwestern University, recently made an interesting survey of 405 of the top, well known employers to find these reasons.
- Poor personality and manner; lack of poise; poor presentation of self; lack of self confidence; timid; hesitant approach; arrogance, conceit.
- Lack of goals and ambition, does not show interest, uncertain.
- Indecision about the job in question.
- Lack of enthusiasm and interest, no evidence of initiative.
- Poor personal appearance and careless dress.
- Unrealistic salary demands, more interest in salary than opportunity.
- Poor scholastic record without reasonable explanation for low grades.
- Inability to express yourself well, poor speech habits.
- Lack of maturity, no leadership potential.
- Lack of preparation for the interview - failure to get information about the school system and therefore unable to ask intelligent questions.
- Lack of interest in the school system and the type of job they have to offer.
- Lack of extra-curricular activities without good reason.
- Attitude of "what can you do for me, etc."
- Unwilling to relocate.
- Immediate or prolonged military obligation.
- No vacation jobs or other work experience, and did not help finance his/her own education.