AHANA Summer Internship Stipend
Each year, five internship stipends for up to $3,400 will be awarded to Boston College AHANA students who plan to do full time, unpaid summer internships. These internships will provide the student with the necessary experience needed in fields where they are underrepresented. These internships can either be offered at the organization, or be self-designed.
Boston College AHANA sophomores and juniors who are underrepresented in their choice of industry are eligible.
Criteria for Selection
- The internship must be unpaid.
- Student must have significant financial need and articulate this in the application.
- The internship must be full time, (35-40hrs. per week) and done over a ten week period.
- The internship must provide valuable experience related to your career of interest. In your application provide a clear and thorough proposal that shows how this internship supports your career goals. Your internship should provide a well-rounded experience apart from administrative responsibilities.
- Internships receiving consideration will be those where you, the student, are underrepresented in your choice of industry and can demonstrate research that supports this. Students wishing to intern in the human services can apply for the Career Center's Social & Human Services Internship Grant as well. Please not that you can only be selected for either the stipend or grant.
- Supervision and training must be provided by the internship.
- For an independent internship, it must have a clear and logical connection to your career, have definable goals, be easy for you to manage logistically as a student, and have the complete commitment of all that are involved.
- You are willing to share your experience with future recipients and the Career Center upon completion of your internship should you be selected. Participation in the RealJobs blog series for Interns as well as an in-person discussion with Career Center staff in the following Fall semester.
The Application Process
- Get an internship
For a Regular Internship
You must first apply for an unpaid internship program. For assistance in finding an internship, check the listings in the Internship Office of the Career Center.
For a Self-Designed Internship
Create your own internship, then contact an organization with ideas regarding a project you would like to undertake. Provide the organization with a plan for a project that you would like to do independently. Independent projects must be supervised by someone who has an expertise in the subject matter.
- Submit an Internship Stipend Application with your resume attached.
You must be accepted into the internship before the award can be made.
Deadline To Apply: Sunday, April 7, 2013
Please attach the application along with your resume via email to email@example.com or mail/deliver to the Career Center, 38 Commonwealth Ave/Southwell Hall. If you have any questions, please call AHANA Career Services at 617.552.4539 or via email.