Working for Temp Agencies
job search strategy 3
Many people find excellent, full-time, long-term positions through their temp jobs. Temping allows you to make a livable salary while you size up the company or the industry prior to making a commitment.
Many temp agencies now specialize in particular career fields, and a new trend, "executive temping," has emerged in the last few years, allowing people with established career credentials to make a good income while filling temporary roles.
- Call the agency to see if they need someone with your skills. Don't email them a resume unless they ask you to.
- Register with more than one agency. Though you may end up working for one agency exclusively, you don't know which agency will start calling with jobs.
- Dress and act professionally when you appear for an interview with the agency or for a job. Most agencies will test you out with a short-term job of a day or several days. If you show up, are prompt, well-dressed and learn quickly, chances are they will place you in jobs regularly or in a longer-term temp placement. (Some temp placements can be as long as three to six months.)
AGENCIES IN BOSTON
- Spherion Personnel
- Abbott Personnel Consulting
- Hollister Inc.
- Daniel Roberts
- The Affiliates, temp law placements
- Professional Staffing Group
- Lab Support
- Micro Tech Staffing
AGENCIES IN NEW YORK
5 Tips for Finding Seasonal Temporary EmploymentFrom ResumeDoctor.com
Temping To Jumpstart Your Career
Access The Riley Guide
Links to some of the larger national temp firms.