Applying to Law School
By reviewing the content on this page and within the Applying to Law School online workshop, students will learn the key factors in a successful law school application, including developing an effective strategy for choosing and applying to an appropriate combination of schools and the process for developing an effective personal statement. Students will also understand the criteria law schools use in accepting successful candidates.
Visit the BC - BU Virtual Graduate & Law School Fairs to explore your educational opportunities now and for the future.
Applying to Law School This Year
Law school catalogs, admissions statistics, LSAT and LSDAS Registration Packets, and other materials are available at the Career Center.
Thinking About Law
General advice to help you decide whether or not to pursue a law degree, and how to do so effectively.
An excellent discussion of the skills, knowledge and values you will need to develop to prepare for law school and a successful legal career. Presented by the American Bar Association.
A breakdown of what recommenders are asked on evaluation forms. This is a nice guide on how to approach classroom settings and interactions with professors in order to obtain the best possible recommendations.
- Suggested Courses for Pre-Law Students at BC
A discussion and listing of useful courses for Pre-Law students.
- General Internship Listings
List of internship databases, fairs and other resources
- Specific Law-related Internship Listings
Specific jobs and internship listings for law in different industries
- NAPLA Pre-Law Guide (PDF file)
A comprehensive guidebook developed by pre-law advisors to help individuals considering a career in law and to assist students and graduates applying to law school.
- Bellarmine Law Society
Visit the website of BC's student run Pre-Law Society.
- AHANA Pre-law Student Association
APLSA is an organization dedicated to recognizing and meeting the needs of all pre-law students, with special attention paid to the needs of AHANA students
- Clough Center for the Study of the Constitutional Democracy
The center sponsors scholarly lectures, conferences, and colloquia; provides financial support for faculty, graduate and undergraduate research; offers internship and junior fellowship programs for Boston College undergraduates
researching law schools
- Boston College On-line Law School Locator
The Locator can help you identify ABA-accredited law schools where your scores and grades are most competitive for admission.
- The Boston College Law School Range Finder (pdf file)
The Range Finder offers a spread sheet of the 25th to 75th percentile range of the LSAT scores and the GPAs for accepted applicants to ABA accredited law schools.
- Part Time Law Program Locator
This Locator can help you find part time programs in your state matching your LSAT Scores and GPA.
NAPLA Law School Locator
- The Boston College Flowchart for Applying to Law School
A diagram of how to generate and process the documents required for application to law school
- Law School Application Schedule
Timelines for undergraduate preparation for and application to law school
- The Law School Admission Council
The home site for all of the services and resources of the LSAC including information about common applications, the LSAT, Law School Forums and initiating an account and a credentials file
- Writing the Personal Statement for Law School
A guide to preparing a compelling essay for your law school application.
- How do Law Schools Determine Whom to Admit?
Guidelines from LSAC on what criteria Law Schools use when determining whom to admit.
- Tips on Letters of Recommendation
Guidelines for maximizing the quality of your recommendations.
- Full Disclosure on Disciplinary Issues
A review of the procedures for reporting disciplinary issues to law schools.
- Request for Dean's Recommendation
Current A&S students and A&S alumni applying to law schools which require the completion of certification forms as part of their application processes may submit the forms to the Office of Student Services, Lyons Hall 103 or via fax to (617) 552-4975. Please write to email@example.com, call at (617) 552-3300 or stop by the Office of Student Services in Lyons Hall with any questions.
- Request for Boston College Transcripts
Link to the Student Services procedures and contact information for requesting transcripts.
- Law School Application Links
A listing of Web sites that provide useful information for a prospective law school applicant.
- The NAPLA-SAPLA Book of Law School Lists
A comprehensive listings of law school academic programs, areas of emphasis without graduate degrees, joint degree programs, schools that award non-need-based scholarships, and study abroad.
- A Positive Approach to the LSAT
- LSAT Preparation Guideline
- LSAT Preparation and Registration - Advice
- LSAT Score Analysis
- Test Prep Resources
Additional Resources and information
- BC Applicant Acceptance Rates
LSAT scores and acceptance rates of BC Law School applicants compared to the national pool.
- BC Graduates Admitted to Law School by School and Year
- CLEO - The Council on Legal Education Opportunities
CLEO provides pre-law recruitment, counseling, placement assistance, and training to increase the number of qualified students in law school. More than 6,000 economically disadvantaged students have been oriented to law school through the CLEO Pre-Law Summer Institutes since 1968.
- Information for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Law School Applicants from the Law School Admissions Council
- Grad School catalogs online
NOTE: you must be on the BC campus or logged onto the Internet through BC to use this system.
- Paying for Law School
This video on the Law School Admissions Council's website reviews how to invest and fund your law school education, applying for financial aid, and minimizing your debt.