boston college career center
Boston College’s externship program matches undergraduates with employers for short-term job shadowing and mentoring experiences.
Typically a one-day experience, an externship is an opportunity for students to gain understanding of what a particular job entails, observe day-to-day business operations, and make connections. For employers, an externship can serve as an excellent opportunity to market your company and develop connections with the BC community.
Boston College externships are designed as one-day experiences, but longer time periods are available if both the student and host agree upon dates.
To participate in the Externship Program as an employer, submit the Externship Host Application. Students will apply to your posting and the Career Center will best match you with the number of students you can host based on the strength of their applications. We will then contact the students to inform them of their match and you will be contacted by the students approximately one month prior to the date to arrange the details and logistics of the externship.
Here are some suggested activities for your extern to participate in:
- Conduct informational interviews with BC alumni and other employees within your organization
- Observe client interactions
- Sit in on staff meetings
- Tour your organization’s facility
- Review the organization’s mission/vision statement and organizational charts
- Review current trends in the profession
- Explore potential career paths within the organization and the profession
- Discuss career options with you
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.