Strong Interest Inventory
an online self-assessment tool
*** Please read these instructions carefully and completely. ***
How does the Strong Interest Inventory work?
- TAKE THE TEST - You go online and spend about 1/2 hour answering a series of questions about your preferences and interests. (NOTE: It is possible to take the paper version of the test, but you must come to the Career Center to take it. For the paper version only, there is a 2-3 week processing delay before your results will be ready.)
- MAKE AN APPOINTMENT - Call the Career Center 617-552-3430 to make an appointment to go over the results of your test with a counselor.
- SHOW UP FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT - You come to the Career Center for your appointment. The Strong Interest Inventory is free to all Boston College students and alumni who have graduated in the past five years, but please be aware that each time somebody takes the test, the BC Career Center is charged $13.50.
- THE GOOD STUFF - A Career Advisor will give you the paper printout of your test results and will help you to interpret these results as they relate to your individual preferences and interests.
What do you get from doing the Strong Interest Inventory?
- A detailed, comprehensive summary of how your unique interests (not your abilities) apply in five areas:
1. Vocational (work-related)
2. Avocational (activities outside work)
3. Types of work environments that best suit you.
4. Type of people you are most likely to work well with.
5. Types of work tasks you are most likely to enjoy.
- Information to help you choose a major or explore new career fields.
- The SII will NOT tell you one specific career field to pursue. It will point out some patterns of interests that you have and recommend some career areas to explore.
Before you take the Strong Interest Inventory
IMPORTANT NOTE: You can take the inventory online, BUT you will only get your results when you meet with a BC career advisor. To schedule an appointment with an advisor to go over the results of your Strong Interest Inventory, call 617-552-3430.
Taking the Assessment
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE DOING THE ASSESSMENT.
- Login to EagleLink with your Agora username and password.
At the top of the Home page, hover over Resources and click on Skills Assessments.
Click on Strong Interest Inventory
- NOTE: You will only get your results when you meet with a BC career advisor.
- NOTE: There are no "right" or "wrong" answers to the questions, just your personal preferences. Take the assessment quickly, going with your first inclination to each question.