boston college career center
Boston College’s externship program matches undergraduates with alumni and active employers for short-term job shadowing and mentoring experiences.
Typically a one-day experience, an externship is an opportunity to gain an understanding of what a particular job may entail, observe day-to-day business operations, and make valuable networking connections.
Boston College currently arranges externship opportunities with hosts nationwide, during the winter break each year. We also offer limited opportunities in other major cities throughout the year.
Externships are open to all BC undergraduates. Students are selected on the basis of their resumes and the connection between the student’s goals for participation and the criteria of the hosting organization. Students who show genuine interest in the company and give good reasons for wanting to participate typically get priority.
Here are some typical externship activities:
- Meet with key players of the organization
- Sit in on staff meetings
- Conduct informational interviews of employees at as many levels as possible – a valuable opportunity to connect with BC alumni and other professionals in the field.
- Observe client interactions
- Review current trends in the profession
- Talk about careers with professionals
How to Apply
Applicants must be current Boston College undergraduates in good academic standing. To apply, follow these steps:
- Login to your EagleLink account
- Click on Employers, then Employer Directory
- Under Keywords, type “BC Externship Program” then hit Search
- Click on BC Externship Program
- Click Available Positions
- View all available positions, and select up to three positions to which you wish to apply
- If you apply to a position, you must be open to participating in that Externship if selected, so read dates carefully
- Follow the instructions to apply for these positions directly through EagleLink
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.