2013 Talent Competition
boston college arts festival
A Competition for Student Bands and Singer/Songwriters at the Arts Festival
Thursday, April 25, 2013
O'Neill Plaza, 8:00-10:00 PM
A talent competition featuring the winners of preliminary events in two categories: singer/songwriter and "Battle of the Bands." Singer/songwriter finalists will compete for a cash prize. Band finalists will compete for a chance to play at Modstock in May. Co-Sponsored by UGBC, the Music Guild, Nights on the Heights.
Battle of the Bands
- Submit a sound file via CD or email to the Arts Council (email@example.com or deliver to Carney 257) by Friday, February 22.
- Selected bands will be notified of their status by Friday, March 1.
- Preliminary Competition will be held in the Vanderslice Cabaret room on Friday, March 15, 8:00 PM.
- 3 bands will move on to compete at the Arts Festival on Thursday, April 25, 8:00 PM.
- Winning band opens at Modstock!
Thursday, April 11, 2013
- Sign up for this event will begin on Wednesday, April 3.
- Top three performers of preliminary event to compete at BC’s Best at the Arts Festival on April 25. Winning act at the festival will receive a cash prize.
Singer/Songwriter Competition Rules:
- Participants must be current Boston College undergraduate or graduate students.
- Single performers or small ensembles with a maximum of four members.
- Students competing in the Battle of the Bands are not eligible to compete in the Singer/Songwriter event.
- Students must perform original music written by current BC undergraduate or graduate students.
- Each singer/songwriter will have a maximum performance time of seven minutes total to play one or two songs in that time frame.
- Sound system will be provided. Students may not use instruments that require amplifiers and cannot bring amplifiers. Drum kits not allowed. Students may bring hand drums – they will not be provided.
- Judging panels will consist of members of the Music Guild, UGBC and the Arts Council.