2014 Talent Competition
boston college arts festival
A Competition for Student Bands and Singer/Songwriters at the Arts Festival
Thursday, April 24, 2014
O'Neill Plaza, 8:00-10:00 PM
A talent competition featuring the winners of preliminary events in two categories: singer/songwriter and "Battle of the Bands." Singer/songwriter finalists will compete for a cash prize. Band finalists will compete for a chance to play at Modstock in May. Co-Sponsored by UGBC, the Music Guild, Nights on the Heights.
Battle of the Bands
Submit a sound file via CD or email to the Arts Council (firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to Rubenstein Room 4) by Friday, February 21.
- Selected bands will be notified of their status by Friday, February 28.
- Preliminary Competition will be held in the Vanderslice Cabaret room on Tuesday, March 14, 8:00 PM.
- 3 bands will move on to compete at the Arts Festival on Thursday, April 24, 8:00 PM.
- Winning band opens at Modstock!
- Ensembles must have a maximum of four members.
Sign up for this event will begin on Tuesday, March 18.
- The preliminary competition is (tentatively) scheduled to take place on Thursday, April 3, 2014.
- Top three performers of preliminary event to compete at BC’s Best at the Arts Festival on April 24. Winning act at the festival will receive a cash prize.
- Each singer/songwriter will have a maximum performance time of seven minutes total to play one or two songs in that time frame.
- Sound system will be provided. Students may not use instruments that require amplifiers and cannot bring amplifiers. Drum kits not allowed. Students may bring hand drums – they will not be provided.
General guidlines for both competitions:
- Students competing in the Battle of the Bands are not eligible to compete in the Singer/Songwriter event.
- Participants must be current Boston College undergraduate or graduate students.
- Students must perform original music written by current BC undergraduate or graduate students.
- Judging panels will consist of members of the Music Guild, UGBC and the Arts Council.