Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program
Frequently Asked Questions
The purpose of the Office of AHANA Student Programs (OASP) Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program is to aid in the retention of students by providing the opportunity to study abroad. Any student wishing to take advantage of this program should first seek assistance from their college counselor at the Office of AHANA Student Programs. If after utilizing available support services, the student finds that they still need to take summer courses, they should apply to the OASP Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program. Students interested in taking courses for academic enrichment may also apply, but need to explain their reason for taking the requested course during the summer.
Summer Tuition Remission is one of our most popular services. Our office receives over 150 applications and we are not always able to help those who are truly in need due to limited funding. Please take this information into consideration when you apply, and if and when you receive your award. Please follow all instructions in the application material.
Instructions to Complete Application
- Please complete application online via MyBC
- If a question does not apply to you, write N/A (meaning “Not Applicable”) next to the question
- Please DO NOT call for results. Results will be sent via e-mail on Friday, February 21, 2014
- Completed Applications Must Be Submitted by Friday, February 7, 2014 by 5:00PM.
Completed Applications must include the following:
- Completed application, (incomplete applications will not be considered). Paper applications will not be accepted
Your most recent unofficial transcript, degree audits will not be accepted. This can be mailed via agora or dropped off. If you choose to mail, fax, e-mail, or drop off your unofficial transcript please address it to:
Attention: Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham
Office of AHANA Student Programs
Thea Bowman AHANA Center
72 College Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02169
Application Process Information
- Results are sent via e-mail on Friday, February 21, 2014
- Once you received your results, the funding will be added to your student account
- Course(s): The number that corresponds to “Course(s)” indicates that number of courses you have been granted.
- See Counselor: If you have “See College Counselor” next to your Eagle #, you have to see your counselor no later than Friday, February 7, 2014. This could mean that more information is required of you in order to finalize the decision. It could also mean your advisor wants to see you to provide you with further instructions. Call the office at 617-552-3358 or call your College Counselor directly to make the appointment immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible during the summer?
- Awards will be distributed to seniors first, followed by juniors, sophomores, and then First Years. Awards will be based on the criteria below:
- Students who demonstrate that they have utilized the support services of the Office of AHANA Student Programs through its mentoring program, counseling services and academic advisement (e.g., meeting with the OASP counselor at least three times each semester)
- Study abroad summer session courses are granted with the understanding that you will successfully complete the course with a grade of C, or better
- Students who have received summer tuition in the past, who did not receive a C or better, or who withdrew from a course without notifying an OASP staff member, may not be considered
How do I apply to the OASP Summer Tuition Remission Program?
- To apply, you must submit an application online through MyBC and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript (not a degree audit)
Where can I get an application?
- The application is now available here: https://orgsync.com/47756/forms/94086
When is the application deadline?
- Friday, February 7, 2014 by 5:00PM.
When will I find out if I have been awarded Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission?
- Friday, February 21, 2014
what is the maximum number of courses that are allowed?
- A maximum of ONE study abroad course is allowed for the summer
Who will make the decision?
- A committee consisting of the staff in the Office of AHANA Student Programs will make the decisions
Can I receive aid for housing and meals?
- No. Our Study Abroad Tuition Remission Program covers ONLY the class tuition portion needed to study abroad
Are there penalties involved?
- OIP Penalty: Yes. If you do not withdraw by the March 31st deadline for OIP, you will have to pay the $500 fee
- OASP Penalty: Yes. If you do not return your grant by March 31st you will not be eligible for STR in the future
If I am awarded what are the next steps?
- Please make sure you are still able to study abroad. This means that you have enough funding and that your program has not been closed
If I am wait-listed what are the next steps?
- To avoid the penalty please respond to the e-mail indicating that you would like to remain on the wait list. If your program has been canceled or closed please e-mail your OASP Counselor and copy Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham as soon as possible. If you no longer plan on using STR funding to study abroad please let us know as well, so we can remove your name from the waitlist. We understand that waiting to know if you have received funding or not can be difficult. We do not rank our wait-listed students and students are awarded ONLY if additional funding comes available.
- Wait-listed students will be notified of their standing on Friday, March 14th. If you are still wait-listed after the deadline, this means your application can be placed in the general Summer Tuition Remission pool. If you wish to have your application transferred into the general pool, please submit a course approval form of the summer class (es) your wish to take. Please note: this does not guarantee acceptance into BC summer courses.
- The application deadline for OIP is February 5, 2014
- Information about Studying Abroad can be found at http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/international.html
- The general STR application can be found here