Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program
Frequently Asked Questions
The purpose of the Office of AHANA Student Programs (OASP) Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program is to aid in the retention of students by providing the opportunity to study abroad. Any student wishing to take advantage of this program should first seek assistance from their college counselor at the Office of AHANA Student Programs. If after utilizing available support services, the student finds that they still need to take summer courses, they should apply to the OASP Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program. Students interested in taking courses for academic enrichment may also apply, but need to explain their reason for taking the requested course during the summer.
Summer Tuition Remission is one of our most popular services. Our office receives over 150 applications and we are not always able to help those who are truly in need due to limited funding. Please take this information into consideration when you apply, and if and when you receive your award. Please follow all instructions in the application material.
Instructions to Complete Application
- Please complete application online via MyBC
- If a question does not apply to you, write N/A (meaning “Not Applicable”) next to the question
- Please DO NOT call for results. Results will be sent via e-mail on Monday, March 11, 2013
- Completed Applications Must Be Submitted by Friday, February 22, 2013 by 5:00PM. If applications are not received by this date or time, they will be considered late
- Applications must include the following:
- Completed application, (incomplete applications will not be considered). Make sure your mail or drop off:
- Your most recent unofficial transcript, degree audits will not be accepted
- The signed pink copy of the Course Request Form, which is available from your Academic Dean. Please allow at least 1-2 weeks for your Dean's office to process your request. It is your responsibility to submit this form with the application.
- The Pink copy of your course registration form
Application Process Information
- Results are sent via e-mail by last name on Monday, March 11, 2013
- Once you received your results, the funding will be added to your student account
- Course(s): The number that corresponds to “Course(s)” indicates that number of courses you have been granted
- See Advisor: If you have “See College Counselor” next to your Eagle #, you have to see your advisor no later than Friday, February 22, 2013. This could mean that more information is required of you in order to finalize the decision. It could also mean your advisor wants to see you to provide you with further instructions. Call the office at 617-552-3358 or call your College Counselor directly to make the appointment immediately
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible during the summer?
- Awards will be distributed to Seniors first, followed by Juniors, Sophomores, and then First Years. Awards will be based on the criteria below:
- Students who have accumulated deficiencies
- Students who demonstrate that they have utilized the support services of the Office of AHANA Student Programs through its mentoring program, counseling services and academic advisement (e.g., meeting with the OASP counselor at least three times each semester)
- Study abroad summer session courses are granted with the understanding that you will successfully complete the course with a grade of C, or better
- Students who have received summer tuition in the past, who did not receive a C or better, or who withdrew from a course without notifying an OASP staff member, may not be considered.
How do I apply to the OASP Summer Tuition Remission Program?
- To apply, you must submit a completed application online through MyBC, a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript (not a degree audit), and the signed pink copy of the Course Request Form from your Academic Dean must be mailed or dropped off at the Office of AHANA Student Programs, 72 College Road. You should allow at least 1 to 2 weeks for your Dean's office to process your request
Where can I get an application?
Where do I get my Course Approval Form?
- From Office of International Programs
When is the application deadline?
- Friday, February 22nd by 5:00PM.
When will I find out if I have been awarded Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission?
- Monday, March 11th via e-mail
What is the maximum number of courses that are allowed?
- A maximum of ONE study abroad course is allowed for the summer
Who will make the decision?
- A committee consisting of the staff in the Office of AHANA Student Programs will make the decisions.
Can I receive aid for housing and meals?
- No. Our Study Abroad Tuition Remission Program covers ONLY the class tuition portion needed to study abroad.
Are there penalties involved?
- OIP Penalty: Yes. If you do not withdraw by the March 31st deadline for OIP, you will have to pay the $500 fee.
- OASP Penalty: Yes. If you do not return your grant by March 31st you will not be eligible for STR in the future.
Deadline to choose your study abroad program is February 8, 2013
Information about Studying Abroad can be found at http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/international.html