Summer Tuition Remission
Frequently Asked Questions
The purpose of the Office of AHANA Student Programs (OASP) Summer Tuition Remission Program is to aid in the retention of students by providing resources to afford those experiencing academic difficulty the opportunity to improve their status at Boston College. Any student with such difficulties and wishes to take summer courses should first seek assistance from their college counselor at the Office of AHANA Student Programs. If after utilizing available support services, the student finds that they still need to take summer courses, they should apply to the OASP Summer Tuition Remission Program. Students interested in taking courses for academic enrichment may also apply, but need to explain their reason for taking the requested course during the summer.
Summer Tuition Remission is one of our most popular services. Our office receives over 150 applications and we are not always able to help those who are truly in need due to limited funding. Please take this information into consideration when you apply, and if and when you receive your award. Please follow all instructions in this application material.
Instructions to Complete Application
- Please complete application online via MyBC
- If a question does not apply to you, write N/A (meaning “Not Applicable”) next to the question
- Please DO NOT call for results. Results will be sent via e-mail on Friday, April 11, 2014
- Completed Applications Must Be Submitted by Thursday, March 27, 2014 by 5:00PM.
Completed Applications must include the following:
- Filled out application form done online through MyBC. Paper applications will not be accepted
- Your most recent unofficial transcript, degree audits will not be accepted. This can be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or dropped off at 72 College Road
- A signed copy of the Course Approval Form, which is available here. Please allow at least 1-2 weeks for your Dean's office to process your request. It is your responsibility to submit this form with the application. This can be dropped off, mailed, e-mailed, or faxed to the Office of AHANA Student Programs. Your Academic Dean's Office may also send it to our office via inter office mail. You may also upload it, if you have a signed scanned copy, to your application.
If you choose to mail, fax, e-mail, or drop off your unofficial transcript and/or course approval form please address it to:
Attention: Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham
Office of AHANA Student Programs
Thea Bowman AHANA Center
72 College Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02169
Application Process Information
- Results are sent via e-mail on Friday, April 11th
- Results will include the course information and housing (if applicable)
- Course(s): The number that corresponds to “Course(s)” indicates that number of courses you have been granted. Please be sure to the courses you are requesting match the courses on your Course Approval Form .
- Housing: The “Yes” and “No” corresponding to “Housing” indicates whether you have been granted either or both. If there is a “No” under the category, it could mean you were either not granted such OR that you did not apply for it.
- See Counselor: If you have “See College Counselor” next to your Eagle #, you have to see your counselor no later than Thursday, March 27, 2014. This could mean that more information is required of you in order to finalize the decision. It could also mean your advisor wants to see you to provide you with further instructions. Call the office at 617-552-3358 or call your College Counselor directly to make the appointment immediately.
Please note: Dining is not provided
Next Steps: If Awarded STR
- If you have been awarded STR please register with for you courses at Student Services, Lyons Hall. Please bring you OASP stamped (for approval) course approval form to Student Services to register for your courses. It is your responsibility to pay the $45 registration fee which can be done via check, money order, or cash. Payment via eagle card is not accepted. For registration information, please click here. Once you have registered for class, please return the pink copy or photocopy of your registration form to Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham
Next Steps: If Waitlisted
- We do not rank our waitlisted students. If additional funding comes available you will be notified when the application reopens on May 6, 2014. The application will close again on May 20, 2014 until Spring 2015.
Returning your Award
- If you have been granted course(s) and/or housing, and do NOT need or want all or a portion of it, please let your College Counselor know immediately. Please provide this information to your College Counselor via e-mail and Copy Rosaleah Brown Gresham on the e-mail at email@example.com.
Please note: Courses and housing cannot be traded among friends.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible during the summer?
- Awards will be distributed to Seniors first, followed by Juniors, Sophomores, and then First Years. Awards will be distributed based on the following criteria:
- Students who have accumulated deficiencies
- Students who demonstrate that they have utilized the support services of the Office of AHANA Student Programs through its mentoring program, counseling services and academic advisement (e.g., meeting with the OASP counselor at least three times each semester).
- Based on summer session constraints, a few awards will be made for enrichment but students need to explain the reasons why they need to take the course(s) during the summer.
- Summer session courses are granted with the understanding that you will successfully complete the course with a grade of C, or better.
- Students who have received summer tuition in the past, who did not receive a C or better, or who withdrew from a course, may not be considered. For A&S students, a C- or better must be received in order to receive credit.
How do I apply to the OASP Summer Tuition Remission Program?
- To apply, you must submit an application online, mail via Agora or drop off/e-mail a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript (not a degree audit), and a copy of the signed Course Approval Form from your Academic Dean. You should allow at least 1 to 2 weeks for your Dean's office to process your request.
Where can I get an application?
- The application is available here: https://orgsync.com/47756/forms/94030
Where do I get my Course Approval Form?
When is the application deadline?
- Thursday, March 27th by 5:00PM.
When will I find out if I have been awarded Summer Tuition Remission?
- Friday, April 11th via e-mail by last name.
Why do I have to demonstrate proactive academic assistance?
- The funds for summer session are provided to students who have made an effort to improve their academic situation. Unless students make an attempt to improve during the academic year, the summer session may not be the best help.
What is the maximum number of courses that are allowed?
- A maximum of two courses is allowed each Summer.
- Please ensure the courses that you list on your application match the approved courses on your Course Approval Form. It is suggested that you meet with your Dean to get your course approved first before filling out the application, to ensure accuracy
Can I get housing during the summer?
- Yes. Please select either Session I or II for housing. Please note, housing awards are based on need and may be provided where commuting is neither feasible nor possible on a case-by-case basis. Office funds are for standard double or triple occupancy only in the non-air conditioned rooms. NO SINGLES ARE AVAILABLE.
- For more information on housing, please click here
Are Lab fees included in the cost?
- If you were awarded a science course that requires a lab, the lab costs will be included.
Are meals available during the summer?
- OASP does not provide funding for meals. The cost of dining is the sole responsibility of the student. You may add Dining and/or Eagle Bucks to your Eagle-One Card account.
Who will make the decision?
- A committee consisting of the staff in the Office of AHANA Student Programs will make the decisions.
Will I receive an “entire package?”
- Not necessarily. In most cases, students apply for everything (i.e. two courses and housing) and are only awarded a portion of it. It is best to apply for only that which you need.
Can I change my course(s)?
- Yes, only if you have confirmed this change with your OASP Counselor and Dean. Please have your Dean process a new Corse Approval form and e-mail your counselor right away. Once your counselor has received your e-mail and discussed the change with you, your counselor will e-mail the confirmed changes to Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham.
Can I withdraw from a class?
- Yes, but it is your responsibility to withdraw from the class and you must let your counselor know. Please copy Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham on the e-mail.
- Failure to inform your OASP counselor decreases your chances of receiving an award subsequent summers.
- If you dropped your class after the allotted drop/add period, and we were not informed, you will have to pay the cost of the class.
- If you choose to withdraw from a class, the process is the same as during the academic year.
- If you do not show up to class all summer, you will not receive a passing grade, nor does it count as a formal withdrawal. This will also affect your eligibility for STR in future years.
- For information on how to withdraw from a class, please click here
Will I lose my housing if I withdraw from a class?
Are there any final steps once awarded?
- Yes. Please print the award letter that was sent via e-mail and bring it to McGuinn 100 to register for your class(es). It is your responsibility to pay the $45 registration fee.
- Please return the pink copy or photo copy of the course registration form, to verify you have registered for class.
- If you were awarded housing, your name will be given to Residential Life so you may register for housing in Agora.
- Students are responsible for the payment of all registration and all course materials.
- Dates: Session I May 13-June 19; Session II June 23-July 31st
- Registration for summer courses begins on April 14th
- Information about Summer Session is available at http://www.bc.edu/schools/summer/
- Information about Summer Housing is available at http://www.bc.edu/offices/reslife/summer/summersessions.html