Digital Scholarship Librarian
Boston College Libraries seeks candidates for the position of Digital Scholarship Librarian. The ideal candidates will have the skills necessary to advance digital scholarship initiatives at Boston College by providing consultation, technical support, and project management for faculty, librarians, staff, and students engaged in technology-rich scholarly projects. Under the direction of the Head of Outreach and Digital Research, and in conjunction with subject librarians, systems and digital library staff, scholarly communications and repository librarians, and others, s/he works directly with clients (faculty, students, staff) in identifying and deploying appropriate tools and technologies to meet research or publication needs. The Digital Scholarship Librarian will assist clients with projects from start to completion, and will aid in promoting digital scholarship to the campus community. In addition to direct support at the project level, s/he will deliver training, group instruction, and workshops on Digital Scholarship topics with an emphasis on data visualization, text mining and encoding, mapping, and data analysis, and will maintain project documentation for a growing corpus of digital scholarly production. This role requires a creative and dynamic individual with exceptional technology and communication skills, and an understanding of discipline-specific and interdisciplinary research methodology. The ability to listen, articulate problems, and find effective technology solutions across a variety of disciplines, while working with a range of clients from novice scholars to senior faculty, is essential.
Appointment as Senior Digital Scholarship Librarian dependent upon qualifications and requires a minimum 3 years relevant professional experience.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program with a strong technology component.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in developing and supporting digital content in an academic environment required.
- Practical knowledge of and experience with a range of tools for the analysis and display of information, such as online exhibit tools, social media, scanning / OCR, data visualization, geospatial analysis, encoding and text mining, programming and scripting languages, format conversion and editing protocols and tools, graphic design, relational databases, metadata schema, and open web standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively across scholarly and technology domains
Digital Services Assistant
The Boston College Libraries is seeking a Digital Services Assistant to coordinate services and resources in a digital scholarship lab. This position will serve as an initial contact for digital services in the library, and will coordinate activities with multiple departments inside and outside the library in an evolving environment.
- Provide service and referrals for faculty, staff, and students in an evolving library service point focused on digital scholarship and multimedia.
- Support the instruction department with multimedia expertise, and by staffing reference service points, including the digital scholarship service desk and the O'Neill Library reference desk.
- Coordinate meetings with a variety of constituents and library staff. Assess user needs and recommend resources. Assist with training and supervision of student workers.
- Oversee daily functioning of the area, including working with IT to update and maintain hardware and software, schedule spaces for meetings and instruction, and help coordinate special events.
- Provide support for digitization and reformatting of media items.
- Assist with marketing and outreach efforts for the digital scholarship space.
- Use a variety of resources to develop professionally as needs evolve
Acquisitions and Fiscal Assistant
We are seeking an experienced paraprofessional to join the acquisitions team for Boston College Libraries. The Acquisitions and Fiscal Assistant will share responsibility for ordering and invoicing over $9 million in library materials annually. Commitment to excellent customer service and superior attention to detail is necessary for successful performance of the duties of this position.
To see all job openings at Boston College please visit www.bc.edu/jobs