boston college mathematics institute
This five day, 6 hours per day, timely content course addressed the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Principles and Standards for School Mathematics Content Strands: Number & Operations, Algebra, Geometry, Measurement, Data Analysis & Probability.
Course goals were
- to deepen mathematical knowledge in particular by examining multiple approaches to topics and forging connections between strands;
- to illustrate how teaching practice can be improved by illustrating how content can be effectively delivered. Plentiful examples of practice were drawn from the following five units of the standards-based ConnectedMathematics Project:
- Frogs, Fleas and Painted Cubes
- Growing, Growing, Growing
- Looking for Pythagoras
- Kaleidoscopes, Hubcaps, and Mirrors
- Samples and Populations.
|Stanley J. Bezuszka, S.J.||Director, Mathematics Institute|
|Anne Collins||Research Associate, Mathematics Institute|
|Margaret J. Kenney||Professor of Mathematics|
Chestnut Hill Campus of Boston College
Scenes from the 2003 Summer Workshop