The Council for Women of Boston College
bc women's history project
As Boston College moves into the 21st century, the Council for Women of Boston College is committed to detailing the role that women have played in the history of the University in order to more clearly understand their current contributions to Boston College's growth. The Council for Women of Boston College has completed a documentary project that details the participation by women from the University's earliest decades. Beginning with the emergence of the Philomatheia Club in 1915, women have contributed to the physical and intellectual growth of Boston College at each step in its development.
Long before Boston College awarded its first degrees to women in 1926, women were a significant presence in the University community. Our history project explores the extraordinary contributions by women to Boston College. The project begins with the Philomatheia women and their fundraising efforts which helped to transform the physical layout of Boston College and guaranteed the fledgling institution's success during the First World War.
Our project also examines the ways in which the Philomatheia Club fostered an intellectual community for women. This led directly to the early academic participation by women at Boston College and the first classes for women religious on the Chestnut Hill campus.
We then look at the emergence of women as students at Boston College through the founding of Boston College Intown and the School of Social Work, as well as the participation by women on the Heights with the growth of the Schools of Education and Nursing. Finally, our history project examines the roles that women play today at Boston College and their continued leadership as students, educators, and alumnae.
The DVD "Making Our Place: A History of Women at Boston College" is now for sale in the BC Bookstore.