For Faculty and Staff
The Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations should be the first point of contact for all faculty and staff seeking funding from corporate and private foundation sources. CFR staff can help develop strategies to maximize the chances of securing funding from corporate and foundation prospects.
Faculty and staff seeking funding are encouraged to contact the Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations as early as possible in the search for support. In addition to coordinating approaches to corporate and foundation sponsors, we can:
- Initiate and screen potential corporate and/or foundation prospect lists
- Provide research on corporate and/or foundation prospects
- Draft, review, and edit letters of inquiry
- Provide proofing and editing assistance for proposals and concept papers
- Prepare budgets in cooperation with the Office of Sponsored Programs
- Gather required institutional data and documentation for proposals
- Coordinate the proposal submission process
- Track grant-reporting requirements
- Coordinate and participate in meetings and teleconferences with current and potential corporate and/or foundation funders
Boston College GrantScape
CFR provides faculty and administrators with updated information on external corporate and foundation funding opportunities for faculty and postdoctoral fellows. BC GrantScape is a searchable on-line database of pre-screened, targeted, and timely information about funding opportunities. Subscriptions to an RFP Bulletin and to customized Funding Alerts are also available. Go to GrantScape.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can faculty apply for any grant? Are there certain restrictions?
Generally, competitive grant opportunities at private foundations and corporations fall into three categories:
- Open opportunities have a hard deadline but do not restrict the number of applicants from any given institution. These opportunities have a basic funding structure and do not require institutional commitment, endorsement, or support.
- Restricted opportunities limit the number of applicants from a single institution, or require that contact is coordinated within the University through a single individual or department.
- Opportunities with special circumstances include those that require institutional commitment, endorsement or support, and a waiver of indirect costs.
2. How does CFR manage fundraising efforts?
CFR works closely with the Office of the Provost and Dean of Faculties, Vice Provost for Research, Office of Sponsored Programs, and senior leadership in University Advancement and across campus.
3. How can CFR help me find funding for my project?
CFR provides seasoned expertise and services for faculty seeking funding. Its four major services include:
- Support for program development
- Guidance in selecting and approaching corporations and foundations
- Assistance with proposal development and submission
- Management of a database to track and coordinate requests throughout the University
3. How can faculty members learn more about current funding opportunities?
The Office of the Vice Provost for Research facilitates access to external grant and award opportunities from public and private philanthropy. Periodically, this office coordinates with Corporate and Foundation Relations to release an “RFP Journal” of upcoming funding opportunities to ensure that faculty across departments are aware of potential funding sources.
4. Are there other campus offices that help coordinate funding?
The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) supports faculty in sponsored projects and acts as the University’s authorized representative for grants, contracts, other agreements from government agencies, private industry and non-profit foundations. OSP ensures compliance required by federal law and regulation while acting in the best interests of Boston College.
Thank you for your interest in the Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations at Boston College. We look forward to meeting with you. For more information, please contact us at (617) 552-9166.
Office of University Advancement
140 Commonwealth Ave.
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467