Jesuit Survival and Restoration
200th Anniversary Perspectives from Boston and Macau
WEDNESDAY, 11 JUNE, 2014
The Heights Room, Corcoran Commons
Introduction to Conference: Robert A. Maryks
Welcome: Provost David Quigley and T. Frank Kennedy, S.J.
Keynote Speaker: John W. O’Malley, S.J.
THURSDAY, 12 JUNE, 2014
Chair: John W. O’Malley, S.J.
Panel I: THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT
1. Jesuit Survival and Restoration: A Historical Context, Robert A. Maryks (Boston College)
2. Jesuits post-1814: A Restored Society of Jesus or a New Society of Jesus? Thomas Worcester, S.J. (College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA)
3. Some Remarks on Jesuit Historiography 1773-1814, Robert Danieluk, S.J. (ARSI, Rome)
4. The Modernist Crisis and the Society of Jesus: The Back Story of the Centennial Celebration of the Restoration Order, Peter Bernardi, S.J. (Loyola University, Chicago)
Chair: Arthur Madigan, S.J.
Panel II: THE COMMONWEALTH OF POLAND-LITHUANIA AND THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE
5. Before and After Suppression: Jesuits and Former Jesuits in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, 1763-1795, Richard Butterwick-Pawlikowski (University College London)
6.The Society of Jesus in the Russian Empire (1772-1820) and the Restoration of the Order (1814), Marek Inglot, S.J. (Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome)
7. Sebastian Sierakowski and the Language of Architecture: A Jesuit Life during the Era of Suppression and Restoration, Carolyn C. Guile (Colgate University, Hamilton, NY)
Chair: Jean Luc Enyegue, S.J.
Panel III: CENTRAL AND WESTERN EUROPE I
8. The Jesuits and their Artistic Diaspora in Germany after 1773, Jeffrey Chipps Smith (University of Texas at Austin)
9. Enduring the Deluge: Hungarian Jesuit Astronomers from Suppression to Restoration, Paul Shore (St. Paul’s College, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg)
10.“By any other name”: Retaining a Jesuit Identity in England during the Suppression, Thomas M. McCoog, S.J. (Fordham University, New York City)
FRIDAY, 13 JUNE, 2014
Chair: Andrea Vicini, S.J.
Panel IV: CENTRAL AND WESTERN EUROPE II
11. Exiled Spanish Jesuits and the Restoration of the Society of Jesus, Niccolò Guasti (Università degli Studi di Foggia)
12. The Society of Jesus Under Another Name. The Paccanarists in the Restored Society of Jesus, Eva Fontana Castelli (Milan, independent scholar)
13. Jesuit at Heart. Luigi Mozzi de’ Capitani (1746-1813) Between Suppression and Restoration, Emanuele Colombo (DePaul University, Chicago)
Chair: Jeremy Clarke, S.J.
Panel V: CHINA AND BEYOND I
14. Twilight of the Jesuit China Mission, 1750-1800, Ronnie Po-chia Hsia (Pennsylvania University State)
15. Restoration or Recreation? The Return of The Society of Jesus to China, Paul Rule (La Trobe University, Melbourne)
16. Rising from the Ashes: the Gothic Revival and the Architecture of the New Society of Jesus in China and Macao, César Guillen-Nuñez (Macau Ricci Institute)
17. Music at the Beitang. Chinese Music and Church Songs at the French Jesuit Church in Beijing at the End of the Eighteenth Century, François Picard (Université Paris-Sorbonne)
Visit to the Exhibitions “Jesuit Survival and Restoration” and “The Jesuit Victorian Poet Gerard Manley Hopkins” at John J. Burns Library, Boston College
SATURDAY, 14 JUNE 2014
Chair: Mark Massa, S.J.
Panel VI: CHINA AND BEYOND II
18. The Phoenix Rises from its Ashes: The Restoration of the Jesuit Shanghai Mission, Paul Mariani, S.J. (Santa Clara University)
19. The Long Shadow of the Rites Controversy on a New Generation of China Jesuits, Jeremy Clarke, S.J. (Boston College)
20. Survival and Conspiracy: Jesuits, Russian Intelligence, and the Macartney Embassy to Beijing, Greg Afinogenov (Harvard University)
21. The Jesuits in India between the Old and the New Society of Jesus, Sabina Pavone (University of Macerata)
Chair: David Quigley
Panel VII: THE AMERICAS I
22. Saviors or Schemers? The American Response to Jesuit Restoration, Jonathan Wright (Durham University)
23. The “Russian” Society and the American Jesuits: Giovanni Grassi’s Crucial Role, Daniel Schlafly (St. Louis University)
24. The Restoration in Canada: A Troubled Inheritance, John Meehan, S.J. (Campion College, Regina, Canada)
Chair: T. Frank Kennedy, S.J.
Panel VIII: THE AMERICAS II
25. Jesuit Tradition and the Rise of South-American Nationalism, 1782-1810, Andrés Prieto (University of Colorado at Boulder)
26. The First Return of the Jesuits to Paraguay, Ignacio Telesca (Universidad Nacional de Formosa, CONICET, Argentina)
27. The Restoration of the Jesuits in Mexico: Some Historiographical Remarks, Perla Chinchilla (Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City)
SUNDAY, 15 JUNE 2014
Chair: Charles Gallagher, S.J.
Panel IX: AFRICA
28. The Restoration in Africa—an Overview, Festo Mkenda, S.J. (Jesuit Historical Institute in Africa, Nairobi)
29. The Survival of the Jesuits in Southern Africa after the Restoration of the Society of Jesus (1875-1900), Aquinata Nanyonjo Agonga (Jesuit Historical Institute in Africa, Nairobi)
30. The Post-Restoration Jesuit Mission in Fernando Po, 1859-1871, Jean Luc Enyegue, S.J. (Boston University)
Roundtable Panel (coordinated by John W. Padberg, S.J., Institute of Jesuit Sources, St. Louis): What have we learned? Where do we go from here?