Visual Culture, Media & Gender
Wednesday, October 30 – Friday, November 1
Gasson 205 & McElroy 237
Space is limited. Registration is required by 10/26.
Wednesday, October 30, 2013: Gasson 205
6:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
by Helena Taberna
Bahji at the Beach
Directed by Gurinder Chadha
Thursday, October 31, 2013: McElroy Commons 237
|1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
||Spanish and European Immigration, Film, and Gender
- Sharlene Hesse-Biber, Boston College: MODERATOR
- Isolina Ballesteros, Baruch College, CUNY:
European Immigration Film and Gender
- María Pilar Rodríguez, Deusto University:
Spanish Immigration Film and Gender
- Annabel Martín, Dartmouth College:
Gender Strategies in Helena Taberna's Filmmaking
- Helena Taberna, Filmmaker
||*Please note: Wednesday's films will be under discussion for this panel.
Friday, November 1, 2013: McElroy Commons 237
|10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
||Feminist Praxis in Visual Arts and Cultural Management
- María Jesús Pando, Deusto University: MODERATOR
- Elizabeth A. Sackler, Ph.D., Arts Activist:
Making Headway: Institutional Transformation
- Xabier Arakistain, Curator and critic:
Reflections on a Feminist Model for the Field of Art: Montehermoso 2008-2011
- Pam Allara, Associate Professor emerita, contemporary art and visual culture, Brandeis University; and Visiting Researcher at the African Studies Center at Boston University: The Entanglement of Race and Gender in Contemporary South African Art