Guidelines for Proposals
institute for the liberal arts
ILA CALL FOR PROPOSALS AND GUIDELINES
The Institute for the Liberal Arts welcomes proposals from faculty for creative, innovative projects in any area of the liberal arts to be funded beginning in the academic year 2015-2016. Proposals may request funds ranging from $2,500 to $25,000 per year, and may request funding for one, two, or a maximum of three years. Examples of projects that could be funded might include (but are not limited to):
- creative project
- development of a new interdisciplinary course
- brief (e.g., week-long) residency for a visiting artist, writer, or scholar
- programming designed to lead to a new center, interdisciplinary program, or minor
- programming related to a museum exhibit, dramatic production, concert, or other event
Proposals should include:
- Cover Sheet
- Two-page description of the project
- One-page statement of its relevance to liberal arts education at Boston College
When developing your budget for a confrence, seminar or symposium, please reference our Budget Guidelines. You may download the cover sheet and budget from the column on the right. These materials should be submitted as email attachments (with the form submitted electronically) to Susan Dunn in the Center for Centers.
Projects will be selected by the ILA director and governing board according to the following criteria:
- Quality and originality
- Feasibility within proposed time and budget
- Contribution to education and scholarship in the liberal arts
Because we want to encourage creativity and innovation, we do not have hard and fast rules for what can be supported. However, we would hope that proposals will include some of the following characteristics, as appropriate:
- Projects should ideally be interdisciplinary in nature and should include faculty from more than one department or program at Boston College.
- Projects should engage students in some way
- Projects should lead to some sort of product: a conference, publication, course, film, seminar, museum exhibit, etc.
- Projects that have secured other sources of funding will be viewed favorably
- Proposals for visiting speakers submitted to this funding pool should be for something other than the usual hour-long lecture: such as a week-long visit or a series of speakers, for instance. ILA support for single speakers will come from a different funding pool.
The ILA will fund travel for Boston College Faculty only in exceptional cases. We strongly encourage faculty to use other College resources to fund their travel. We will not pay for equipment of any kind.