The 31 - by - 42-inch portrait of Fr. Donovan, which was presented by University President William P. Leahy, SJ, and Academic Vice President and Dean of Faculties John J. Neuhauser, will be hung permanently in the foyer of Connolly House. In addition, the former Andover Room on the first floor of Connolly House has been renamed the "Charles F. Donovan, SJ, Room."
The unveiling of the oil portrait followed a speaking program in which friends and colleagues of Fr. Donovan paid tribute to the Jesuit educator, dean and administrator who was associated with the University from his arrival as a freshman in 1929 until his death on July 17, 1998.
In addition to his other administrative roles, Fr. Donovan served Boston College as a faculty member, founding dean of the Lynch School of Education, member of the Board of Trustees and its predecessor, the Board of Directors, and senior vice president.
The varied aspects of Fr. Donovan's career at Boston College were highlighted in remarks by University Chancellor J. Donald Monan, SJ, LSOE Dean Mary Brabeck, former LSOE faculty member Prof. Edward Power, Assoc. Prof. C. Peter Olivieri (CSOM) and Assoc. Prof. Donnah Canavan (Psychology).
Copies of the newly published Charles Donovan Occasional Paper , written by University Historian Thomas H. O'Connor, were also distributed at the event. The publication recounts Fr. Donovan's numerous contributions to the growth and emergence of Boston College as a national educational institution.
Fr. Donovan originated the "Occasional Paper s " series on significant events in Boston College's history while serving as University historian from 1979 until his death.
Return to March 30 menu
to Chronicle home page