Patrol officers Kevin Christopher and Veriato Sena were decontaminated at the scene and transported to Brigham and Women's Hospital for precautionary treatment. Two graduate students were treated at Boston Medical Center for exposure to the fumes. All four were released Tuesday night.
A gas cylinder containing hydrochloric acid was accidentally released during an experiment, according to Environmental Health and Safety Director Suzanne Howard. Students working in the lab quickly contained the fumes, she said, and the released gas was removed by the building's air ventilation system.
Emergency cleanup crews arrived on campus late Tuesday night and Merkert was reopened early Wednesday morning, Howard said.
"The crews performed many air evaluation tests," Howard said, "and the air samples came up clean."
Return to April 13 menu
to Chronicle home page