Five Boston College police officers were treated for smoke inhalation after the incident.
According to Boston College Police Chief Robert Morse, an unattended candle caused the fire in one of the residence hall's third-floor rooms. The fire was contained quickly and damage was largely limited to a single room. No students were injured.
Morse said Patrol Officer and Emergency Medical Technician Thomas Devlin rushed toward the fire despite a chronic lung condition, which was aggravated by the smoke. He was admitted to Beth Israel Hospital following the incident and was discharged on May 8.
On the morning following the fire, BCPD Sgt. Roy Farrell was treated for smoke inhalation and released at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. BCPD Sgt. Frederick Winslow and patrol officers Kevin Christopher (also an EMT) and David O'Connor were treated at the scene and released.
Morse termed the response of safety personnel to the incident "a credit to the officers. They're trained to rush in when students are rushing out."
Return to May 13 menu
Return to Chronicle home page