Marcou joined the University in 1934 and was instrumental in establishing the Mathematics Department. During the 1950s, he began doing ionospheric research for the United States Air Force at the University, and in 1958 he founded the Ionospheric Research Laboratory. After retiring from the Mathematics Department in 1971, Marco continued his work with the laboratory until 1976.
The laboratory, with facilities at Newton Campus and in Bedford, has received major funding from the Air Force, National Aeronautic Space Administration and other federal agencies. More recently known as the Institute for Space Research, in 1995 it became the Institute for Scientific Research.
Return to Sept. 19 menu
Return to Chronicle home page