Fr. Bezuszka, Kenney Are Inducted Into State's Math 'Hall of Fame'

Fr. Bezuszka, Kenney Are Inducted Into State's Math 'Hall of Fame'

Long-time Mathematics Department faculty Prof. Emeritus Stanley J. Bezuszka, SJ, and Prof. Margaret J. Kenney are among the five inaugural members of the Association of Teachers of Mathematics in Massachusetts Hall of Fame.

Fr. Bezuszka and Kenney were inducted at a ceremony last summer in recognition of their impact on mathematics education in the state's secondary schools. The two have been active at the regional, national and international levels assisting educators to reform, restructure and improve methods for teaching mathematics.

Fr. Bezuszka, director of the University's Mathematics Institute, "is synonymous with leadership in mathematics education" according to Joseph Caruso, a member of the association's executive board. "In the truest sense of the word, he is a pioneer in mathematics education. [Fr. Bezuszka's] creativity and ingenuity have sparked many students to higher levels of achievement."

Caruso also praised Kenney, the institute's associate director, as a leader in improving the teaching of mathematics. "Peg has touched the lives of thousands of individuals, many of whom are now teachers.

"She is an extraordinary teacher, a prolific author of innovative problems, articles and textbooks, [and] an articulate spokesperson and leader for change in content, materials and pedagogy."

Fr. Bezuszka first came to Boston College as a Jesuit scholastic in 1939. After receiving a master's degree in 1941, he was reassigned from his theology studies to teach physics at BC the following year.

Kenney arrived at Boston College in 1953 as a member of the second class to enter the University's School of Education. Told by a high school teacher that "'Girls don't do math,'" Kenney recalled, she had enrolled at BC as a French major. But after taking a summer course taught by Fr. Bezuszka, she switched her academic focus and made mathematics her career.

-Reid Oslin

 

Return to October 18 menu

Return to Chronicle home page