Prompt Response Limits Damage in Ignacio Hall Fire

(5-7-99) -- Prompt response by Boston College police and Newton and Boston firefighters is credited with containing damage in an Ignacio Hall fire Thursday afternoon.

Five Boston College police officers were treated for smoke inhalation after the incident, two of whom have been hospitalized.

According to Boston College Police Chief Robert Morse, an unattended candle caused the fire in one of the residence hall's third-floor rooms. The fire was contained quickly and damage was largely limited to a single room, but all Ignacio students were evacuated from the building. No students were injured and residents were allowed back into Ignacio Hall within 90 minutes of the alarm.

Morse said Patrol Officer and Emergency Medical Technician Thomas Devlin rushed toward the fire despite a chronic lung condition, which was aggravated by the smoke. Devlin was admitted to Beth Israel Hospital, where he remains in stable condition.

BCPD Sgt. Roy Farrell was taken to St. Elizabeth's Hospital this morning for treatment of smoke inhalation. Two other BCPD patrol officers, Kevin Christopher (also an EMT), David O'Connor, and Sgt. Frederick Winslow were treated at the scene and released.

Morse termed the response of safety personnel to the incident "a credit to the officers. They're trained to rush in when students are rushing out."

Back to InfoEagle Home Page

Back to News and Information from Boston College