(6-8-98) -- St. Mary's Chapel will be closed through mid-June while its flooring is replaced for the first time in 81 years.
Work on the four-week project began on Commencement Day and is scheduled to be completed by June 19, the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a major feast in Jesuit communities.
When the chapel re-opens, its summer schedule will be in effect, with Masses at 7 a.m., 8 a.m. and noon on weekdays, and at 8 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Until then, St. Ignatius Church is a nearby option for daily communicants, with Masses at 12:15 and 5:30 p.m. on weekdays.
The 15-by-60-foot white oak floor under the pews in St. Mary's Chapel had not been replaced since the sanctuary opened in 1917, and years of sanding had reduced the planks, in some places, to bare strips. In the course of restoration work, the chapel's 19 pews have received new wooden dowels and braces where needed, and the floor in the choir loft has been sanded and stained.
Back to InfoEagle Home Page
Back to News and Information from Boston College