Social Ministries and Outreach
Seniors’ November Gathering, Habitat Build, and Gift Drive Ornament Prep:
Jesus embraced and worked for the dignity of every person. He lived and taught that this is at the core of God's relationship with us. Everywhere, he said quietly and simply that he was sent to announce good news to the poor, to proclaim release for prisoners and victims, to heal the sick and wounded, and to proclaim God's favor for all of the people of God (Luke 4:18-20.) And everywhere, he asked his neighbors to join him, to become active disciples, to reach out and comfort the alienated and marginalized, to empower those who have nothing. Many said yes; others were overcome by fear or greed and turned on him. We have the same choices.
Our community of faith at St. Ignatius strives to say yes; this is the mission of our Social Ministries and Outreach Commission. We work to reach out to those whose needs are greatest, to work against injustice, and to support those who live with poverty, hunger, and suffering. Come work with us!
- Work to alleviate hunger—with Project Bread's Walk for Hunger and food drives
- Help the homeless—at Pine Street Inn Shattuck Shelter in Jamaica Plain, Cor Unum Meal Center in Lawrence, and Hearth in Boston.
- Help children and families in Boston—through back-to-school programs for Mother Caroline Academy and Julie's Family Learning Program.
- Build affordable housing—with Habitat for Humanity.
- Bring food and clothing and blankets—to those in need
- Brighten a family's Christmas—by bringing gifts to children and families at Christmas
- Help us—support our sister parish in Jamaica - St. Anne's
- Bring a smile and a prayer and the Eucharist– minister to the homebound and hospitalized members of our Parish
- Share with our elders– join with us to organize and serve at parish events with our Seniors
Be involved in healthcare for the homeless – donate goods that enable programs to provide quality healthcare for individuals and families in greater Boston
Join our Respect Life Committee— engage in prayer, education, and outreach on life issues for all stages on life
We offer a variety of opportunities:
Like what you've read? Call or e-mail Sr. Diane Vallerio, 617-552-6107, firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll sign you up! We have lots of options, whether you can commit to a one-time event or ongoing efforts.
Please see the calendar of upcoming events for the Social Ministries and Outreach Commission.