Eligibility Committee shall periodically evaluate the
criteria for selection of chapter membership, plan
and run the membership process, and review and
recommend candidates for annual induction into Alpha
Chi Chapter from the applications received.
Membership of the
The Eligibility Committee shall be
composed of five members. The Senior and Junior
Counselors are elected for two year terms. The
Senior Counselor serves as chairperson of the
committee. One community nurse leader, and two
students at Boston College are selected for a one
year term by the Executive Board. A member of
the committee may refrain from discussion and vote
upon a potential candidate should there be a conflict
Meetings of the
The committee meets four times per
year and as needed. A meeting is held in
September to plan the membership drive, in January to
review all completed application, in March to compile
orders for jewelry requests, news releases, and final
inductee list to send to Sigma Theta Tau
International, and in April to prepare for the
Responsibilities of the
The Eligibility Committee
* Advertise the membership drive,
using a variety of strategies, including the
* Place a written announcement in the mailing to the
membership in September.
* Mail fliers to agencies within the greater Boston
area during September.
* Place posters in Boston College, Cushing Hall
* Make announcements in undergraduate classes and
faculty meetings during October.
* Make announcements in graduate student classes
* Make announcement and/or have informational fliers
available at Alpha Chi programs (Appendix ii).
* Mail applications and guidelines
for selection of members to potential candidates and
to others who request them.
* Make applications and guidelines available to
potential candidates in the Central Office, Cushing
Hall, Boston College School of Nursing.
* Counselors screen applications and prepare the
agenda for a full committee meeting in January as
* Vote upon whether to recommend each candidate for
acceptance into Alpha Chi Chapter at a full committee
* Prepare the slate of candidates recommended for
acceptance into Alpha Chi Chapter.
* Present candidates to the membership at the Winter
Business Meetings for their vote of acceptance or
* Send a letter to the candidates accepted into Alpha
Chi Chapter, notifying them of the date of the
Induction Ceremony. Request that they submit
induction fees, key order, membership acceptance
form, and news release forms to the Chairperson of
the Eligibility Committee.
* Forward fees collected and membership acceptance
forms to the Chapter Treasurer. Forward news
release forms to the Public Relations Committee and
* Notify candidates who were rejected of the reasons
they were ineligible for membership into Alpha Chi
* Prepare keys and name tags for Induction Ceremony
and copies of the Sigma Bylaws and Chapter Bylaws for
distribution to each member.
* Set up the Ritual for Induction of new members
prior to the Induction Ceremony.
* Submit an annual report of inductees member totals
to Sigma Theta Tau International.